The Expanse is some of the best hard-sci-fi ever made

The books are awesome, and the show does its justice. TBH, they go hand in hand. The show portrays the main story awesomely, but for more insights read the books.

The actor for Amos has a military background, i think he fills the shoes of amos as a merc. As for Bobby, oh man, hope they'll get her and her specially fit armor right.

I bought season 1 on bluray after watching some trailers and behind the scenes with Adam Savage. And while we are at it, in mythbusters terms everything seems scientifically ... plausible to me. But the expanse is also well written, has a good cast and looks fantastic. It is a very well done show indeed, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

1 Like

Binging through the second season, and... WHAT. THE. FUCK. have they done to Bobbie Draper? I've read the novel quite some time ago, but I'm pretty sure she stayed cool during and after the Ganymede encounter and she didn't look and act like a raging warmongering lunatic. WHY? WHYYYYYYYYY???

2 Likes

MRW

I have been enjoying the show. Just started with the books.

I didn't get that impression from her portrayal in the show. TV-Bobbie was indeed less stoic than the book's character, but after Ganymede she looked and acted more like a traumatised and emotionally destabilised person than a raging lunatic (because of both losing her squad, "hallucinating" being attacked by a space-man without a vac suit, and on top of it all being betrayed by her own superiors and ordered to falsely testify about everything) . IIRC, the war-mongering is mostly after Earth nuked Deimos out of the sky in retaliation for what Protogen actually did.

The main difference is that TV-Bobbie explicitly stated that she believed that a military strike against Earth's power-projection capabilities (i.e., the U.N. Naval command) was the way to secure Mars' future and the continuation of the terraforming project (Earth being percieved as a very real threat in that context).

Tv-Bobbie still makes sense even though she is not book-Bobbie.

Come on, TV-Bobbie was unstable even before Ganymede or Deimos, openly arguing superior officer and stating that "martian dream" may be impossible without the war against Earth. It is hinted that Donnager's destruction may be a reason for her behavior, but she's never really shown in any other state of mind.

I'll have to re-watch the season to be sure, which I'll gladly do once i'm done with finals papers.