The Expanse is some of the best hard-sci-fi ever made

And the novels got a tv adaptation :

3 Likes

Yep, I'm crazy stoked for season 2.

The first season gave me a huge sifi boner with all their realistic space physics.

2 Likes

Looks cool, I'll check it out

Novels are great. Too bad they were butchered in the process of adaptation.

I heard that... very typical though. Maybe I'll listen to an audio book version some day.

1 Like

Just one example, not much of a spoiler.

How you meet Chrisjen Avasarala in a movie: you see some indian granny torturing some Belter guy for no apparent reason (this scene never was in a novel, and I think, there's no reason for it to exist).

How you meet Chrisjen Avasarala in a book: there's a meeting of some military and political bigwigs, with aides, all formal, very black-and-white, discussing some very important stuff. And there's an indian granny in this meeting, in bright orange sari, sitting silently, looking harmless, eating pistachios, not paying attention to the meeting at all. Then suddenly she says "you will do this and this" - and the meeting is over.

Yeah me too, never heard of it before.

This looks like something I'll have to check out.

I binged on season 1 in a matter of days, it was amazing

2 Likes

When it comes to sci-fi I missed Star Trek: The Next Generation, Defiance, and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. This show called The Expanse eh would it offer me anything I would like based off of what I just shared in terms of sci-fi I like?

You could find this show interesting if :
A) You prefer having scientific fiction rather than fictional science. As in, featuring properly-engineered spacecrafts* that might actually work in space instead of the generally more popular boats-in-space approach.
B) You'd pick a story about the blue-collar crewmen of an interplanetary water-ice hauler instead of a story about the captain and high-ranking officers of a naval vessel.
C) You like detective stories and noir films.
D) You find espionage and international geopolitics to be interesting topics.
E) You don't have a problem with gore and body horror in film or litterature.

If yes, then yeah, this might be something you'd like.

This series is pretty much doing for hard science-fiction what Game of Thrones/ASoIaF did for dark fantasy.

*that means no energy shields, no dogfights, no space-carriers and no fighter pilots. Spacecrafts are laid out like skyscrapers on top of huge thrusters. Newtonian physics. If you get hit, you get pushed away. Recoil from guns pushes you away. Strong thrusters are strong weapons, and strong weapons are strong thrusters. Cutting power to thrusters does not slow you down. There is no stealth in space (well, almost none, kinda). Vacuum exposure is neither gruesome nor instantly fatal. Artificial gravity is centrifugal or requires constant thrust. Space-battles are 1% launching missiles at insane distances, 50% waiting, 2% switching on point-defense turrets, and 47% hoping you don't get hit.

1 Like

^^ Yeah, what you said haha. Nailed it. So stoked about Netflix getting this, but a) when? b) North America, not just Europe right?

Netflix bought the rights for global distribution. That usually means anywhere that isn't the US.

Syfy probably retained the rights for local distribution.

fug me... I'm a cable cutter... might get a VPN just for this.

1 Like

Except for this Epstein Drive thing (yeah, yeah, futuristic fusion drive, I know, but several Gs of thrust for weeks?) and magic chemicals allowing crew to pull 16g and be able to perform their functions at the same time.

1 Like

I concur about her character (In the book she swears like a sailor), I disagree about the transition though, they have pulled off a great character cast, especially Miller.

Can't use netflix with a VPN anymore.

Gonna have to raise those sails my friend.

Yeah, the Epstein drive is handwavium for the sake of having a story to tell.

Still, it holds up pretty well in Mohs scale of science-fiction hardness as it respects the One Big Lie rule.

And if we go by Winchell Chung's interpretation, it could border on Speculative Science.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#epstein

Not sure why they made Miller leave his hat behind. Probably just to troll those who read the books. =)
On cast - yeah, I guess it looks good. I imagined Amos larger though. And Johnson older and, well, thinner.
Also, martians were a joke. They'd better deliver on Bobby and her dress.

I've heard they blocked a lot, but there are still some VPNs that work.

You guys are going to get me to read the books haha