The CRT Hole

I keep seeing people jack it to 4k 1ms response oh look at my fancy ass paper thin thing that could shatter. PAH. CRT's are for men :u

No but really. Just a thread for the 3 or 4 CRT lovers here besides me. I know theres a couple :3

At the moment I'm looking into getting a couple 1600X1200 20 inch monitors. I can get them free easy, I just have to know where they hell they are. Any point to a couple would be nice if you happen to know.

1 Like

rabidz7 https://forum.level1techs.com/t/delid-4930k/52880
gone
not missed either

mumblevagabond
gone
missed ;_;

4 Likes

Ehhh, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Update to my thing for later today. I got my VGA to DP cable in so I'll have my glorious 150hz CRT again, if it didn't melt last time (I forget what made me not use it last time). That'll be set up later today. Post? Maybe. More than likely actually.

My parents still use my very very VERY old Viewsonic p95f+ 19" monstrosity... 1600x1200@75Hz...
My father just don't want to spend some money to get a new monitor.

I used it for ... 6 years, before buying this Acer I am using now.
Still love it. Probably 15 years old monitor. Works flawlessly.

CRT's are a lot better than LCD's in my opinion. For one most of them are free, so that makes that easy, most of them over clock like crazy, the colors are better (opinion), no dead pixels, and I like vertical space more than wider space. The static they shoot off after leaving them in sleep mode over night, the degauss sound after leaving them in storage or coming back from a trip.... Works of art man, I love them.

1 Like

Not really an opinion... The colors ARE better. They are more precise than most LCDs. It should be really expensive high end panel in order to get close to a CRT monitor...
There are only 2 issues with them - size, and power consumption.
And the worst thing is, they are not manufactured anymore. I believe nobody makes the glass tubes, and they have limited life. I mean you can "refresh" the luminophore somewhat, but this is one off delay of the unavoidable.

Well theres a CRT store in Grand Rapids nearby.... So someone is still making them. If I wanted to pay 600 dollars for a 1440p CRT over there I'm sure I could but...

Lets just say no to that and move on eh?

1 Like

My only interest in a CRT would be playing retro games either physical console or emulators so I can experience virtually no input lag.

Dumb question: can modern graphics cards that have DVI, HDMI, and Displayport ports be able to hook up to a CRT? What ports do CRTs have?

Mine have a vga... But I think I have seen dvi crts... So as long as you can transform the signal to dvi you should be fine with any crt...

Might be wrong here but I think modern DVI is sometimes missing the analog signal.

Did some research and I need a card with a DVI-I or DVI-A for VGA to convert seamlessly.

That has to be DVI-D.

1 Like

Uhhhh

https://imgur.com/a/jxubu

Its called displayport my dudes.

They are noisy
Somewhere in my garage is a crt I think 21 or 24 inches.
R7 250's are good enough for retro games as well as my 7850k, both have vga
will check on it and come back :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol I mean not really. Also, why is everyone on retro games with these xP I just use them.

Honestly, I'm not even sure the new games support 4:3 resolutions anymore...

Most do. They have to, a lot of people in not the usa still have them.

I have a 19" Dell Trinitron that I picked up at a yard sale for like, $10. getting the resolution past 1024x768 is hit and miss most of the time, but I know it can do it. I like using it for playing Ori and the Blind Forest because that game locks to your monitor's native refresh rate, and at 85Hz(?) the game feels so much faster and more responsive. I can't play Ori on an LCD anymore because the experience just feels... sluggish.

1 Like

Play around in the monitor's menus for osd if it has them.

I wonder how compact you can get a crt. Aren't they a bulb and projection type configuration?

The only reason i don't have one is screen size and how massive they are