The Case Against LTS on the Desktop

As stated above, I attempted to run it on several systems, many of which were not bleeding edge. Overwhelmingly my problems stemmed from modern hardware, though.

Also is this a joke? Their docs seem woefully out of date:

LTS (last edited 2017-03-17 11:23:50 by peterm-ubuntu)

BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia (last edited 2019-12-12 22:30:06 by [vipri-alessandro]

NvidiaManual (last edited 2015-05-30 01:32:49 by gnaservicesinc)

Their website seems to have a different attitude

Yeah, you have to be kidding.

They define it to be compatible with new hardware and it’s feature based releases surrounding the desktop. Why were my expectations misguided?

Thx.

1 Like

I agree LTS can suck and be out of date but If you want commercial software to work out of the box with zero issues you run the OS specified.

I’ve run into plenty of annoying things being somewhat broken with commercial software running non Ubuntu LTS or making stuff work on unsupported distros.

Insurmountable? No. Annoying? Yes. And when I come home the last thing I want to do is play system administrator these days. It’s my day job.

I just want stuff to work out of the box and in my experience the hassles are slightly less running LTS assuming you aren’t in bleeding edge hardware.

So brand new box I’ll maybe go bleeding edge. But after a year no need.

1 Like

This hasn’t been my experience. I have GPUs from 2017 that are seemingly incompatible with Ubuntu.

I’m glad there are people that have had great experiences though :v: I enjoy using it at work and it runs really well on a laptop I have.

1 Like

Mint must be doing something extra then? It runs so nice for me on:
i7-5820K @3.9GHz, MSI X99A SLI Krait, 64 GB RAM, GTX1070 (Displays), RTX2080Ti (Rendering), Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

And is super fast for Blender Cycles rendering, plus running VMs for my dad’s work. I never even notice when he’s got a bunch of them running, and he never notices when I’m rendering. The only sad part is that it’s hard to justify that Threadripper workstation, now. :’(

2 Likes

“Mission statements” don’t need to have their timestamps updated monthly to still be relevant. If that page was 30 years old (instead of just 3) I might be slightly worried.

The front page of their website promotes all of their offerings. It’s neither LTS specific nor exclusive. (Clearly designed by marketing, not engineering.)

An OS version targeting Enterprise is designed to be compatible with hardware actually used by that sector. Specifically, new Enterprise hardware — Enterprise servers and Enterprise desktops/workstations. Enterprise don’t buy and install fancy new CPUs or GPUs the moment they are released. They don’t spec systems with novel component combinations. They spec boring, predictable, certified systems, ideally with proven track records, support plans, and low TCO. Nothing like personal desktops at all.

I think that you may have interpreted “Compatible with New Hardware” to mean “Compatible with any new hardware I want to buy” instead of “Compatible with new hardware a corporation’s accountant would likely authorise spending $x00,000 on”. They are completely different things.

2 Likes

Perhaps. There is a witch among’st these forums that oft recommends using Mint. Beware of his spells and tricks.

Fair enough, but this isn’t the sentiment I’ve received for nearly a decade. Nor is it the attitude of official Ubuntu channels (blogs and podcasts). One wiki page written years ago and barely maintained doesn’t carry as much weight to me as modern evangelism. But I’m a hype man so YMMV.

3 Likes

Canonical have been trying to drag Linux in, hmm, let’s just say “new and interesting directions” for quite a while now. Whilst many of their efforts have failed, some have gained traction. I think the leadership/marketing/messaging/promotion is highly volatile and far in advance of where the rest of the beast actually is. It’s no surprise that folks get confused.

That said, “the point” of LTS has been messaged quite clearly, IMHO, since June 1, 2006:

Ubuntu, which has become one of the world’s most popular Linux distributions in recent years, launched its latest version on June 1 following months of intense testing. The new release is titled Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Long Term Support), and has a specific emphasis on the needs of large organisations with both desktop and server versions.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-6-06-lts-released

(I tend to pay more attention to things like release notes and less to the hype train, though. The more times around the sun one goes, the less one seems to value marketing BS.)

Cool deal. I hope this thread clears up some misconceptions created by Ubuntu’s poor marketing, leadership, and development team. Another reason to pass up on them as a choice for the desktop.

2 Likes

For me, I want suport for the fastest GPUs for rendering :slight_smile: , for Blender to run nice, and to not have shenanigans *cough*Snap*cough*. Other than that I’m really not married to any distro, as long as my dad is also happy with how well it runs his VMs. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You should post to the Battle Stations mega thread :wink:

Those specs are 1337 af

Mine? It’s so old now though, except the 2080Ti (was b-stock from EVGA even).

1 Like

My favorite LTS is windows 1908.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I think peoples tendency to go for LTS might have something to do with how windows used to be released.
At least it was for me.
I remember the first pc my parent bought. It came with W95. It was later upgraded to 98.
I then bought my own, it came with XP. Then Vista came out later, then 7,8 etc.

It’s kinda the same thought process with LTS. You install the OS, and then you don’t have to upgrade it for 3-4 years. Then there’s an upgrade, and then another 3-5 years without doing anything to the OS.

Provided that the OS works and don’t craps itself, then there’s no maintenance on the pc for years at a time. Just using it.

You are just next level shit poster :laughing:

2 Likes

Bill Gates wasn’t even born before the 1950’s tho :stuck_out_tongue:
(no idea how old he actually is. Nor does it interest me in any way, shape or form :roll_of_toilet_paper: )

2 Likes

I find this thread interesting… I might have to give a rolling release a try.

I quit running the non-LTS *buntu releases in favor of staying only LTS since about 10.04. I got tired of fixing things that broke on dist-upgrade or fixing stuff from a fresh install every 6 months. Though there is a lot less you have to fix on a new install/dist-upgrade now then 10 years ago.

Recently I switched to pop os (an ubuntu derivative) to get away from the snap push and because i find the default colors more pleasing. Still an LTS and shares enough similarities to ubuntu that the same PPAs can be used (big plus, IMO). I haven’t had any major issues with “cutting edge” hardware on it either.

1 Like

I gave up on Ubuntu at version 6.
I gave up on it’s derivatives at 12.
I tried Pop_OS just because. An hour later it was gone ( Yes I know that an hour isn’t a fair amount of time. But the color scheme hurt. ).

So what do you run and why?

2 Likes

I run mint because I hate myself deep down

2 Likes

I think you would like Solus. It has these “Sane Defaults ™” everyone always talks about.

+ rolling
+ latest kernel
+ EZ/One Click driver/software install