The Boot Loop From Hell

Edit 6/15/2017. It was the CPU, Intel sent me a CPU and once I got it installed no more Boot looping. I am blown away.
Thank you everyone who helped me.

My computer won't post, it turns on for 3 to 10 seconds then back off and repeats, endlessly. Every once in a while it will post and complete a boot. When it boots it will run without issue.

This has got progressively worse, it used to loop 2 or 3 times then boot but now it loops more than it boots. This has been going on for about three months. I don't remember anything around that time that could have caused it.

Video of it in action will be uploaded soon.

Troubleshooting

Iv'e tried each of the steps listed below then tired to boot it again, still got the same results after each one.

• Removed Video Card
  • Removed HDDs
  • Removed CD Drives
  • Tried different power supply
  • Disconnected and removed associated cables for CD and HDD drive complete from case
  • Disconnected Front Panel Audio
  • Disconnected Front Panel USB
  • Disconnected all other case wires to MB and disconnected all fans (not CPU Fan)
  • Tested RAM (let run over night)
  • Removed RAM (Motherboard doesn't beep to say it doesn't have RAM)
  • RMAed the Motherboard (Was sent new / refurbished one)
  • Rebuilt computer, new thermal paste
  • Disconnected the HDD, Power, and Power Switch cables
  • Connected the power cable and booted from my server's UPS

I can't find a pattern for when it boots vs when it endlessly loops. Sometime it will boot after the second round, sometimes it will take ten or just loop endlessly.

Could it be the case? The motherboard is installed correctly, has all the standoffs and screws are all making good contact.
Is their a safe way to make a makeshift test bed so I can boot it outside the case?

Thank you for any help.

Parts list

Build it on a flat wood table top or just a piece of cardboard.

Yes , very rarely back in the day I had issues with the actual computer case itself being the problem. The problem came from some cases conducting more current than others and the motherboard wanting cardboard washers on the standoffs. This issue isn't very common to have and usually I only saw it happen on old school windows 9x OEM machines that sometimes used aluminum frames like old dell machines. The power supply frame sends a bit of current through it and could be effecting the motherboard.

While that COULD be the issue , I'm willing to bet the issue lies in the power supply or motherboard itself as hard power resets are usually power related.

I don't know if it's possible still today , but you could hold the "pause break" key and it would stop the bios from booting or moving , might be worth a try to hold the bios from doing anything to see if it still resets regardless of what it's doing.

Might not hurt to try a bios update on the board as it mentions the cpu microcode , might fix a possible compatibility issue.

1 Like

So the only thing you haven't done is tested a different CPU in that board or tested that CPU in a different board? This is what you should focus on, figure out if your CPU is bad or your Mainboard is Bad.

Also as a Tip: If you can, try to get someone else that's IT skilled to take a look at it incase you've been doing something really silly. It always helps to get an extra pair of eyes to look at in a different way.

Does it still boot loop after clearing CMOS?

You can use the motherboards box for that.

Anyway, this sound like a possible bios issue, since it sometimes does boot?
Gigabyte is nutorious for having first time bios problems.

Normally I would say PSU but since you tried a different one it makes it less likely. You didn't list clearing CMOS so I would go there next. If that doesn't help then look at some of the options in BIOS: Turn off Fast Boot and whatever other things they have now. I think Windows 8/10 has Ultra Fast Boot and Secure Boot in the UEFI. Maybe try a different CPU fan, although I think it gives an error if it doesn't detect one.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Well I have bad news. I took the MB out of my case booted it with just the CPU (and cooler, no RAM) and it still looped.
I even used a different power supply.
I also reset the CMOS and checked that the MB is running the lastest firmware.

So its either the CPU or MB. I'm going to ask around to see if i can find a spare MB and CPU i can swap to rule one or the other out.

I check and the CPU is under warranty so that is an option.

I'll try the pause break key tonight, I doute it will change anything because I don't think the MB is even getting to bootstrapping the BOIS

checked the cpu socket if there are any bended pins?

You must have some RAM installed to boot.

1 Like