The Blackmagic eGPU. An Apple sanctioned Radeon Pro 580 eGPU available for purchase at Apple Stores

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicegpu

Only available at Apple Authorized Retailers. (that wasn’t sarcasm)

… what about it? Are we posting product announcements now?

2 Likes

We already have a tech cringe mega thread.

3 Likes

The Apple fanboyism/hipsterism… it just hurts. I tried to be sarcastic about it but they were serious about all of it.

I don’t see how it’s a bad product. They’re making money off of apples failures.

Also, it’s a really compelling option for someone who wants a more powerful GPU in an ultrabook when they’re at home or in the office.

Yeah, it’s kinda silly.
Yeah, it’s kinda expensive.
Yeah, it’s probably not user serviceable.

Yeah, it’s fulfilling a need/want in the market.

(If there were an AMD laptop that had thunderbolt, I’d be very tempted to pick this up)

1 Like

Yeah I agree.

I wonder would this work on windows. It only mentions Mac. I have a use case for this thing, my mini PC and a friends Macbook when I go over to him.

Too pricey though really.

It probably would work.

Yeah, it really isn’t cheap, but it’s more marketed to professionals who are used to paying the apple tax.

Also found out about the windows side of it deep in the FAQ:

Does Blackmagic eGPU work with Windows computers?
There are no limitations for the Blackmagic eGPU to work on the Windows platform. However, at the time of writing we believe there are some compatibility issues with the Windows platform, which means that we don’t recommend using the Blackmagic eGPU with the Windows platform yet. We expect these limitations to be fixed in future updates from Windows computer vendors.

Gigabyte already offers what you need:

No Apple tax.

2 Likes

I know. Maybe in time I will look into one but it is pretty good as is, just a nice what if and a valid use case.

1 Like

Blanket statement, because the only real limitation is you have to authorize Thunderbolt devices on Windows and get drivers. It’s “I’m a Mac, and I’m a PC” again.

Mac Thunderbolt is plug and play whereas Windows Thunderbolt requires you to plug it in, authorize the device (it’s sending DMA requests after all) then you can see the device and install the appropriate drivers.

1 Like

I really want laptop manufacturers to start putting thunderbolt charging and whatnot on their laptops. When that happens, I’ll buy a new laptop. Until then, I’m happy with my 4 year old XPS 13.

So, Mac is less secure than PC.

Thunderbolt DMA attacks are very likely on Mac. Windows at least has to authorize each device.

That would be a pretty big problem-- DMA stands for “direct memory access”, which is exactly what it sounds like. This was big news back in like 2013, but modern MacOS on Ivy Bridge and later protects against DMA via VT-d IOMMU so it isn’t actually a concern.

I have a Razer Core (1st gen) at home, and it works great. Waaaay overpriced for what it is, but I got it with a 1060 6GB from a friend for a price too good to pass up. It’s neat tech.

1 Like

A DMA attack in action:

3 Likes