The big problem I have lately

I’m hoping to setup a Dual boot system with Windows 10 as my Primary, with Linux (Mint preferably, 1st time Linux user). My issue here is once Mint was Installed, my crappy WIFI USB stick seems to not work, even after attempting installation of Drivers. I thought about downloading an older version of Linux, but I use a Ryzen 5 3600 with an X470 Motherboard, so I think that may be a bit counter productive.

So far I’ve Tried Linux Mint 19.2, Ubuntu 19.something (Whatever the newest version on their site is), Ubuntu 18.0something (I attempted this version cuz my WIFI seems to have a long drawn out convoluted way to get it running but only on this version, it’s too complex for me & didn’t work either way), Chalot gave me an Unsupported CPU error, Manjaro (whatever the newest release on their website was as of 3 nights ago).

My main purpose for switching is to get away form the Telematry, daily tasks such as Youtube and Discord type stuff really don’t NEED to be ran in Windows - Linux can do the same thing just fine with less system resources & lower power draw.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (non-X)

MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus (BIOS version released as non-Beta as of this morning, ComboPI 1.0.0.4, however was on ABBA version the last 5 days, haven’t noticed much difference in Windows but then again haven’t been super concerned with it, I have noticed even MORE new options in my BIOS that was never there prior… Inconsistencies in BIOS however include some parts of BIOS saying I have 1 CCX, while other parts of the BIOS allowing me to Select 2 CCX’s as an option, I have not tinkered with that as my luck would brick my System)

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair 3200mhz CL16

Boot Drive: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVME (Win10 Trial, hoping to setup Linux as a secondary Boot option)

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming (NON-Extreme Edition)

WIFI Card: NETGEAR A6100 USB WIFI Adapter

(Side note - Tomorrow I shoudl likely be getting a much better WIFI PCIE solution, but not likely to be possible for out of the box Drivers to be installed by default) I want to say it uses an Intel Chipset? Hopefully ASUS comes through for me on that front.

I apoligize for the rambly post, I rarely post on Forums or even ask for help, as I’m normally the Tech guy & never really NEED help. But after 6 days of tinkering my brain is fried & no long able to deal with this mess lol
Any & all help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I’ve already tried downloading the Driver, putting it on a Thumb Drive & Installing that way, Dependancies won’t allow it, Some say a newer version is already installed, some say other dependancies won’t allow for installation period. If this was Windows I may have an answer, but I’m barely your “Average User” when it comes to Linux stuff lol

I didn’t fully understand your problem but dualbooting on the same drive is dangerous. One boot loader might damage the other.

There are cheap oem keys for windows 10 pro that gives you a bit more control regards telemetry and stuff.

With a newer system like this you’ll need a newer kernell, probably ubuntu 19.10, fedora 31, pop!_os 19.10 or even manjaro.

You’ll have to either select the installer to create an EFI partition or turn legacy mode on the BIOS (I’m pretty sure you’re using UEFI)

EDIT: About the wi-fi: that’s tricky… I use realtek/tp link usb adapters and they both have drivers written to the kernell, no extra work needed

Have you tried re-installing rtl8812au-dkms?

1 Like

OK, so new developments. I got my new WIFI adapter today, it’s recognized in Win10 and Linux Mint both fine without a driver (I am no longer using the crap USB solution) since then I’ve noticed my UEFI BIOS are listening Manjaro and Ubuntu as OS boot options 2 & 3. Odd thing is Neither are Installed. I MAY have fixed that already. I won’t know untill I reboot. (Used Command Line to assign the hidden partition to a Letter, then delete Manjaro & Ubuntu boot loaders). So hopefully everything is fine. if not I’ll have to install Windows 10 all over again (Not that it couldn’t use it) & start from scratch again.

I’ll try to put this in my Favorites on my Phone, since Opera failed to tell me there was activity on this Thread.