The best Password Manager that doesn't work

Here you go: https://gitlab.com/Vivern/pyppw

It’s a python wrapper so make sure to install python first. Keep in mind that the script was only ever intended for myself so it’s made do suit my purposes and that’s it. I’ve also only tested it on Linux and with Python 3.7 because that’s what I use.

The cryptography is done by the “mpw” python module so you’ll have to install that. All dependencies are listed in the repository so you can install them via

python -m pip install -r requirements.txt

To run the script navigate to the directory and run

python __init__.py

You can obviously write a bash script/alias so you don’t have to do everything manually each time.

The script stores all of your logins (sans password, obviously) in ~/.config/pyppw/db.json.

@sceps @catsay Any particular reason you use KeepassXC over plain Keepass? I still run Keepass and am quite happy with it. Any security/other reason I should switch?

It’s actually built for linux is #1

I’ll let the FAQ do part of the talking
https://keepassxc.org/docs/#faq-keepassx

Keepass & KeepassX have become somewhat similar to what happened with OpenOffice -> LibreOffice.

KeePassX and KeePass are dead in the water, so keepassxc picked up from that.

Hence being titled “keepassx reboot”

Also keepass 2 is a crazy .net mess, that one shouldn’t have to put up with on linux.

In short: It added a better more secure way of communicating with the browser extension, it fixed a number of issues and added a bunch of things that are still not fixed with KeePass 2 or KeePassX.

Also Features yubikey support, comes as a snap package, really just read the FAQ, they explain it plenty well enough. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

KeeWeb webapp comes in handy for accessing passwords on devices where I don’t want to store my password database. eg. when temporarily using family members’ computers.

Good to know that KeepassDX is decent.

I forgot to tell you that I am on Windows 7.

The script should run fine, it’s just not tested. There may be the odd hardcoded UNIX path but those can be easily fixed.

This one is terminal only as well. It’s a small wrapper script, no more.