The best (cheapest) linux desktop GPU

No point. SFF is BFF

1 Like

Stick me good :wink:

Okay reviewing the p400 it’s not a bad option either if the GPU is more or less just used for the purpose described installing it’s drivers is identical too.

:joy: Why would you do this to yourself

Yes the drivers for the Quadro are identical, but this notice is directly from Nvidia:

Known issue:

Vulkan with flipping enabled on Quadro cards can lead to graphic corruption. If you think you have run into it you can do either of the following as a workaround:

• Disable flipping in nvidia-settings (uncheck “Allow Flipping” in the “OpenGL Settings” panel)
  • Disable UBB (run ‘nvidia-xconfig --no-ubb’)
  • Use a composited desktop

total non issue

Well, it’s just me, but I run KDE without compositing on Nvidia. It would affect me.

Am I just a laughing stock now? The punching bag so people can just make fun of me all day?

Dont do this here.

You arent OP, so theres no need to project your use cases onto OP.

Well I’m being treated like my opinion doesn’t matter. It’s wrong even. The target of the trolling so people can piss on how wrong I am.

Look, I’m gonna ask one last time that you stop this right here. We can talk in a PM if you want, but not here in this thread.

I don’t see this occurring here neither was that my intention. I apologize if you took it that way. I simply looked at his use case and stated that none of the things either of us suggested

(I did suggest a 1050 as well)

Fit his use case at the price point. So I’m sorry if you felt that way. Feel free to pm me if you need to discuss how I wronged you

ok more then i expected. i have problem even measuring CPU usage when i software decode a 1080p60 stream.

i just share some more information about hardware decoder that may matter.
netflix wants cards with 3 or 4 GB Vram to give access to UHD resolution. it’s been proofed that it’s doable with 2 GB even on higher quality rendering but that may matter in the future even for youtube. it’s only reason i see here a better card could be useful here.

Thanks for the advice guys. I know that 2GB might not be enough for the longer run. This is supposed to be a stopgap solution for the next 6-9 months until my next platform. I am not 100% sure I will go with Ryzen and there is a big chance I will go with s1200, because Intel iGPU seems to be the least problematic GPU for Linux if you don’t need to game.

well if it is only for a couple of month look at the price of used 950 960 cards in your region.
they can clearly do VP9 just need someone to confirm they can do it on linux.

i picked up the fury x for $80 used and running modern games on high w/ my 1440p. so im more than happy

Some update on the topic. I bought the GT1030. I bought it used for ~50 USD which is 50 to 70% the price of 1050 2GB at least in Poland. The card is fulfilling its purpose. Even before starting playing with the chrome-vaapi and patched vdpau with VP9 support there is a noticeable decrease in the load during youtube playback. The GPU usage is around 33-35% but the video engine is not used at all. My CPU is boosting a bit higher as well so improved video playback from the get go and potentially even more.
One unexpected point was the amount of memory or the lack of it. My assumption that you need memory equal to the pixels on the desktop times the colour bits and everything should be OK. Well it is not. I assume that with the push for acceleration on the desktop environments the windows have become 3D objects that need rendering and vRAM. With 11 browser windows + plus a few more windows the 2GB are full and there is heavy traffic on the PCIe bus.
So the card is generally OK, low power consumption, low profile and single slot but the 2GB might be really limitation, even for heavy desktop use only.

Thanks for the update.

So in summary, all the vram is used, but the chip on the GPU still has headroom when processing 1080p60 video?
So a beefier GPU with the same ram wouldn’t really do any better, for more money? Like maybe it does the same, with a bit less struggle?
Also interesting to see it only uses 4x pcie3 lanes. Does the one you got have a full length (16x) slot, but only gold pins every other place/with gaps between?

2GB Vram usage to play a video is very odd.
at UHD my 1060 uses ~400 mb for the desktop ~600 for my browser with an to high number of tabs.
and if i start playing a 1080p YT video it adds 200 mb there is no way linux can be this bad with Vram usage my numbers are from windows 10…

if i use a proper video player i can easily use more then 2000 MB just with that play but still.

I don’t think it’s the video that’s eating all the memory. I think it’s the hardware accelerated browser windows. “Windows” might be the key word here. Inactive tabs behave very differently.

Just wanna mention that strong rumors suggest that the new APUs might go up to 8 Cores 16 Threads :wink: If that’s enough for you of course.
But yes you’re totally right Intel GPUs are pretty awesome on Linux especially considering GVT-G ^^
I also tried the VIRTIO GPU on a Linux VM and using my RX5700 as a GL accelerator works wonders. 1080p60 play great! But I don’t know if that would work for you.

@Huhn_Morehuhn As I have pointed in the last post the vRAM is not getting filled due to the video playback but when I open multiple windows (20 windows total with 11 browser windows and in those around 150 tabs not all of them active of course). The behaviour is in KDE I am not sure how gnome or windows will behave with the same number of windows.

@Trooper_ish The card I got has 16x slot but even in the case it is mentioned as PCIe 4x. I think this limitation of the GT 1030.
And yes the ideal video card will be with the same GPU twice the vRAM and single slot and preferably low power consumptions. Basically i described a quadro :smiley:

1 Like