The Beer Garden: What do you drink, and why?

For anyone inquiring, I’m 6 in. This Imperial Russian is amazing. I’ve only had it ince before and it was amazing then. I will be back to my usual Goose IPA and Founders on Friday, with a variety pack of DeChutes Friday

As a native Oregonian, that’s Deschutes!

Goose Island is alright but what else have you got in the area? :wink:

1 Like

I’ve got a bottle of Old Rasputin at the house waiting for me. Can’t wait to try it.

I see several posts of people drinking IPA’s and I just never understood the appeal. I don’t think I’ve ever had an IPA that I’ve liked. Any suggestions for a good IPA to try? I’m willing to give it another shot, but my main complaint is that they are all just way too bitter.

1 Like

I really gotta be in the mood to drink one and enjoy it. I much prefer the dark stuff.

That’s kind of the point. It’s all about the hops with IPAs. That’s why they have a very orange-peely sort of flavor to them. Whereas with Porters and Stouts it’s more about the chocolate/coffee/roasted notes in the flavor profile rather than hops. I feel the porters and stouts have a much more complex flavor because there’s not one that completely dominates the palette like an IPA.

1 Like

@ThatBootsGuy couldn’t agree more. Porters and Stouts seem to be my go to beer.

Can’t seem to go wrong with Founders though. I like most of their stuff that I try.

1 Like

Where in the country are you? I’d have some suggestions for non-bitter IPA’s if I have an idea of what’s common in your area. I’ve been very much enjoying the newer wet- and dry-hopped IPA’s of late.

If you can find Toppling Goliath’s Pseudo Sue (they call it a pale ale but it’s borderline IMO) you’ll know what I mean.

Deschutes’ Pinedrops isn’t too bitter but that one’s… unique.

Maybe I need to take a trip to the beer store… :thinking:

1 Like

Middle of the U.S.
Oklahoma to be specific. My liquor store is pretty good about ordering something if they don’t already have it, but I don’t necessarily want to order something I’m not sure if I’ll like. I can check around for stuff if my local one doesn’t have it though. There’s supposed to be a gigantic liquor store called Byron’s somewhere near me, but I’ve never been. Their selection might be better.

Update on the Founders beer I just had: that stuff is 11% ABV! No wonder it kicked in so fast!

1 Like

Look specifically for Citra or Mosaic hops as they tend to be featured in very bright, “juicy” or fruity beers. Very hop-forward generally, but not overly bitter.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’ll ever like an IPA if you don’t like the bitterness. Having said that, I’d lean towards a “Session” IPA or a New England style IPA if you want less bitterness. Some quick recommendations would be Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing, Founders All Day IPA, or Sam Adams New England IPA.

If you want to get a little more technical, look up some of your locally available IPAs and check to see their IBUs. The lower the IBU rating the less bitter. 60 IBU would be about par for a “normal” IPA.

3 Likes

I kinda figured as much. I’m willing to try a few more before I make up my mind, but I probably won’t like them. At least I can say I tried, lol

Im in NC so I have a wide variety of Craft beer. There’s Highland, OMB, Triple C, Sycamore, Heist, Legion, NoDa and many others.

1 Like

Now you’re just making me want to visit!

1 Like

@behindthetimesgamer

So I started with the Alaskan Hop O Thermia double IPA, label says 70 IBUs, so while it’s somewhat bitter, keep in mind that some black IPA’s are rated well over 100, and a standard brown ale may be in the range of 30.

It’s bright, although not overly so, hints of citrus with a very hoppy nose. The flavor fades quickly, ending more bitter than it starts. Overall I like it quite a bit, but maybe not the one to try first.

Pairs well with the pizza that just got here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: found the Beeradvocate page: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/429/87556/

I did hate the “original” IPA explosion that happened (at least in Portland) about a decade ago when I was really into stouts, porters and brown ales, but I acquired a taste for them again, and I think most breweries have gotten over the ‘as bitter as it can be made’ contest that was going on then, which is nice. A lot more variety to the style now.

1 Like

I’m going to assume Portland #2?

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is a pretty good 100+ IBU IPA. It’s actually a lot smoother than many IPAs in the 60-ish range I’ve had. Might be from the hop extract, the general feeling I’ve read online is hop extract makes for a very smooth bittering, it doesn’t get grassy like hops can get. My homebrew with extract more or less matches the description too.

I should get some Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter again.

Iron Jack, red wine, scotch and vodka. The good stuff in life.

Been saving this one for a rainy day. Heavy coffee and cacao flavors, and warm chili heat on the back end. It’s pretty expensive, if you can find it, but it’s one of the best Stouts I’ve ever had.
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/prairie-bomb/215531/

2 Likes

Opened up another one for ya!

Let’s be honest, it’s only a little bit for you, I do enjoy the beer!

This one’s pretty “wet” as should be obvious by the color and the name. This is one of those Citra IPA’s I was talking about, very bright, no IBUs listed but I’d guess just a little lower than the Alaskan, maybe around 65. Fairly well balanced, starts sweet(ish) and drops into a bitterness that isn’t overwhelming, at least in my opinion. Very fruity, but if you don’t like bitterness at all, might still be a bit much.

2 Likes

It’s 42 IBU. Shouldn’t be all that bitter. The ABV is up there though, so maybe that’s part of it?

1 Like

Definitely comes off as stronger, but it could be what I’m eating with it too. I even looked at that page before posting and missed the IBU listing entirely :joy:

Edit: or maybe the stronger ones aren’t so bitter to me anymore?

The haul from the liquor store. Ran out of beer last night, so this is to recover from that.

3 Likes