The Beer Garden: What do you drink, and why?

I might splurge and get the Loral and Pacific Gem versions.

1 Like

Victory V12

Website says “… caramel, fruit and spice flavors in this full-bodied amber ale.” I definitely get the caramel, but I don’t get the spice as much. I also get a noticeable dried fruit flavor, like raisins and such. It’s also surprisingly not boozy considering the 12% ABV. I had sips both straight from the fridge and slightly warm and I’d say this is another drink to have at probably about 50-55F, the flavors are muted at fridge temps.

Another peculiar note is that this is apparently a beer that can cellar well, at least according to the internet. The one I had was bottled in January 2018 so it’s already four months old, but I think it was almost too fresh. I would like to try one with at least a few more months on it to see how it mellows. As-is it was still a good drink and I’d definitely never say no to one, but I feel like it wasn’t quite what it could be.

3 Likes

I’m a little stressed out for various reasons, so I’m turning to drinking to solve that. But I’m not joining AA, because I’m not a quitter.

Lol, anyway… Had a very nice sour with my dinner tonight. Another beer from @Steinwerks

(please excuse the potato quality camera shot)

Very nice sour weiss beer with a really strong lemon flavor. It tastes more like sour lemonade than beer, but I love it. It also manages to avoid the “lemon scented Pledge” taste that so many lemon flavored things tend to pick up. 8/10 beer for me.

I’ll have to hunt around for more sour beers for summertime. They are extremely refreshing.

1 Like

FYI Exile curates their own yeast for their sours. Some of them are amazing, I just wish we were a bit closer to the brewery.

Oh and I really wanted to send their Sir Moch-a-lot, it is also amazing, but out of season now :frowning:

1 Like

And for desert, beer. Another one from @Steinwerks.

Trend Bucker Stout. This beer is a prime example of everything I love in a stout. Large dark chocolate malt taste, nice malty finish, just a very slight hint of warm sweetness, and doesn’t overwhelm the taste buds. A very smooth beer with a great overall taste. Probably a 8.5/10 for me. Maybe even a 9.

2 Likes

@Steinwerks

So about that…

2 Likes

More beer from @Steinwerks

This time, a smoked red ale from West O.

I love red ales. This one is no exception. Great roasted barley malt taste, with just a bit of smoky flavor. I’ve had other ales that were too smoky, funky, and had a heavy texture. This one feels lighter, fresher, and not overly smoky.
7.5/10 not bad at all. Would have it again.

1 Like

Yep, that’s definitely blueberry. I have to say, this is one of the most peculiar beers I have ever had. I like it.

2 Likes

Another couple beers from @behindthetimesgamer!

This was a nice red ale, hoppier than most which I feel is something that is often lacking (for me) in red ales, just in terms of variety at least. Otherwise typically malty with a medium mouthfeel with a hint of brightness reminiscent of a NEIPA showing through. Enjoyable, probably a 7/10, would drink again.

This one was definitely interesting, as I feel it is a melding of two styles that aren’t very complementary. Trying to maintain the standard sweetness and heavy mouthfeel of a belgian with the bitter hoppy characteristics of an IPA is no simple task. I felt like this tried pretty hard but wasn’t entirely successful. It’s heavier than I would like for the flavor profile, and the hoppiness was less forward than the malty base, which made it seem like the flavors were fighting each other. I’d say about a 4/10. I didn’t hate it, but not my cup of tea either. Note that I am not much of a belgian fan these days so this may skew my perception.

1 Like

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how you would like that IPA. I think I really liked it because it wasn’t like an IPA at all, haha.

Hopefully the COOP Belgian and Prairie Stout beer go over better than the Marshals did.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to try just about anything once :wink:

I am really looking forward to the stout, I’m almost afraid to drink it though and not have another one to follow up with :smiley:

1 Like

I think I might want to try some wine. I have zero knowledge about wine. I got a yellow bottle with a kangaroo on it a few years ago and hated it.

What should I look for?

Basically it’s first pick your color red/white, then your dryness.
Here’s a pretty good chart:

I’m quite partial to a semi-dry reisling

1 Like

I can’t guarantee the best answer, but I do work at a wine (and beer) distributor.

What are some things you like the taste and/or smell of (doesn’t have to be wine)? Do you have a sweet tooth, or do you prefer things a bit dryer? Do you mind some bitterness (tannins), or do you avoid bitter?

Reds will tend to have a more berry and dark fruit as well as a sometimes meatiness to them. Whites tend to lean towards citrus and tropical fruits and floralness. Roses kinda fall in between. All of that depends entirely on the the specific variety and brand though because so many little differences can make an entirely different outcome in wine.

If I was to just throw out some recommendations I would say try

• Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve Chardonnay - Should be able to find a bottle under $20 pretty easily, but it’s also probably one of the best values when it comes to Chardonnay. Dry, citrus, tropical fruit.
  • Ste Michelle Gewürztraminer - Should be under $15, another good value. Semi-sweet, fruity, with a touch of spice.
  • La Crema Pinot Noir - Under $20 again. More on the cherry and cranberry end with lower tannins.
  • Marques de Caceres Rioja Reserva - Probably the most expensive of the four at right around $20. Very different from the Pinot Noir. Rich, fruity, structured.
1 Like

@ThatBootsGuy thanks for the graphics. That helps a lot. I’m pretty sure the one I tried years ago was something very red and bitter. Did not like. Basically the taste I’ve always associated with wine. Makes me think I should lean more towards the other end of the spectrum.

@w.meri thanks for the suggestions. A few of those do sound very good. I tend to sway more towards the sweet. About the only bitter thing I like is coffee. I’ll see if my local liquor store has any of those at the end of the week.

If you’re looking for sweet with little to no bitterness then sweeter whites are a good place to start. Reds have more tannins, which are what can make a wine taste bitter.

A few varietals that tend to be sweeter are muscat blanc, sauternes, chenin blanc, gewürztraminer, and a few rieslings. I had a bottle of that Ste Michelle Gewürztraminer about a month ago and I thought it was pretty good, especially for the $10 I paid for it. Kendall Jackson and Ste Michelle are pretty decent wine brands for not a whole lot of money.

Picked up a couple. So far I’m really enjoying the Ste Michelle Sweet Riesling. Very light and sweet. Reminds me of sparkling grape juice minus the sparkling.

2 Likes

Merdude by Lorei Brewing and Coffee Waves. First time anyone local has tried making an Imperial Russian Stout. It is pretty damn good on par with Ale Smith Speedway Stout.

2 Likes

Milk Man Milk Stout from @Steinwerks

A delicious dark roast beer. There is more roast flavor than malt, and just a hint of sweetness at the end. A good simple stout with good flavor, but the coffee flavor adds a little acidity to the taste. Not a bad thing, but it is a part of the flavor profile.
Overall 7/10. Would drink again.

2 Likes

Most recent homebrew.

3 Likes