The AMDGPU Info/News Thread

I'm glad this thread grew ;w;

Good call on the topic @FaunCB, bookmarked the thread

Im super interested in this thread....AMD step up Linix

1 Like

I am also very interested in this thread. I'm new to the world of Linux and my main distro so far has been Ubuntu Gnome. I read a few guides which advised me to install the AMD proprietary drivers. I found out the hard way that Ubuntu 16.04 LTS does not support the proprietary driver, so I installed an older version of Ubuntu and succesfully installed the proprietary driver but game performance is very choppy. So as previously said I will be keeping an eye on this thread :-D

2 Likes

Well first of all welcome to linux my friend! I hope you will learn a lot and enjoy this journey through linux
Now about that proprietary driver. What gpu are you using? For a lot of gpus (especially the older ones) the open source radeon/amdgpu driver performs pretty close to catalyst, so it might be an option to just switch back to open source

1 Like

Take a look at manjaro / arch. If you're new to linux I recommend Manjaro (arch based) to learn about repositories, the CLi, and building packages many different ways.

1 Like

I really hope amd gets this working to an ok level before Vega, I'm using nvidia not because i want to but because i'm forced thanks to amds poor performance in games on linux. I even have a freesync monitor :(

1 Like

Does freesync work on linux with the amdgpu/amdgpu-pro?

if not now they will eventually http://www.144hzmonitors.com/technology/amd-freesync-will-soon-be-supported-on-linux-with-a-new-driver/

I'm pretty sure thats planned for like linux 4.8 but dont quote me on that

Its been told to me that the full driver, all features, will be finished by at least 4.9, but 4.8 is the goal.

Thanks for the welcomes @HimTortons. The more I use Linux the more I like it, it's been something that I have looked into for a while now and done a lot of reading / watching videos (mainly Tek Linux :-D) but only over the last couple of months I am really getting into it. My GPU is an XFX Radeon R9 280x Black Edition, tbh going back to open source was going to be my next test.

Thanks for the good advice @FaunCB. They are already on my list of ones to check out and I will definitely be looking into those distro's.

Thought I might chime in about couple AMDGPU-PRO's current status.
-First is, this driver may have a hard time working on anything but Compton Window Manager, you will likely need to use that or suffer major glitches.
-Second is the AMDGPU-PRO driver apparently doesn't expose the CSMT features in Wine, I thought I got this feature working a while back on 16.20 but perhaps it was defaulting back to open-driver components when using it.

Note: Whenever you use Wine be sure not to use windows 8/8.1/or 10 as your operating configuration as they have significant limits on memory usage for 32bit applications. (windows 2003 or 7 is best options).

Ok everyone, just giving my latest experience on the AMDGPU-PRO driver.

I tried installing it on my Ubuntu 16.04 distro and followed the instructions on the AMD Website. My card is a XFX R9 280X Black Edition, which isn't showing to be supported at the moment but I thought why not and just give it a go anyway.

Well for me it didn't work, I restarted my system and the resolution was completely off (640x480 aspect ratio if I remember correctly) and I couldn't change it, it killed the system performance as well, which ended up crashing the system. Now I am a Linux newbie so that was part of the reason I gave it a go, for a bit of experience.

Not sure if others will have better luck?

do you have gnome? I got this behavior with anything other than unity :(

3 Likes

WENDALL SENPAI!!!

Herro

When I ran Xubuntu it was fine actually.

The only DE's that have worked for me thus far is Unity and KDE Plasma 5. Cinnamon, Gnome, Mate don't work. That's all I've tested.

Hi Wendell, Yeah I'm running Ubuntu Gnome.