The AMDGPU Info/News Thread

It's just in settings, you activate vsync and it's activated. The default is "only when cheap" or "auto" I think, depending on what DE you're using.

If you're unsure whether or not your setup CAN do vsync, just check glxinfo.

EDIT: Well, this is awkward, got up this morning, booted up tumbleweed, there we have it, no screen tearing. lol

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it's still there, not sure if it's actually screen tearing but when I move objects or hover over elements fast enough or play a video on one screen, it makes very subtle and partial screen tears.

Thanks zoltan for the reply, I'm on tumbleweed opensuse

I have this set in my compositor:

And here's my configs:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Default Monitor"
EndSection
#
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Secondary Monitor"
EndSection

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-screen.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier "AMD Radeon R9 390X"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        Option "DRI" "3"
        Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
#
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Device "AMD Radeon R9 390X"
        Monitor "DisplayPort-0"
EndSection
#
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Secondary Screen"
        Device "AMD Radeon R9 390X"
        Monitor "DVI-D-0"
EndSection

/etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

#
# $Id$
#
# Listing a module here prevents modprobe from loading it via modalias (only
# aliases from /lib/modules/*/modules.alias). You may still load it explicitely.
# We blacklist some modules becaus they may harm on certain devices or they
# prevent other modules from grabbing the device.
#
# Syntax:  blacklist <driver name>
# See 'man modprobe'.
#

# Manual/User input
blacklist radeon
blacklist fglrx

# usbcore ... module is loaded implicitly, ignore it otherwise
blacklist usbcore

# tulip ... de4x5, xircom_tulip_cb, dmfe (...) handle same devices
blacklist de4x5
# At least 2.4.3 and later xircom_tulip doesn't have that conflict
# xircom_tulip_cb
blacklist dmfe

# list all framebuffer drivers, some of them tend to crash during boot
# they are either compiled into the kernel, or vesafb is active
# X works fine without them, rcfbset can load them if really required
#  sed -e '/\/drivers\/video\/.*\.\(o\|ko\)$/{s@^.*/@@;s@\..*$@@;p};d'
blacklist aty128fb
blacklist atyfb
blacklist cyber2000fb
blacklist g450_pll
blacklist hgafb
blacklist i2c-matroxfb
blacklist i810fb
blacklist intelfbdrv
blacklist intelfbhw
blacklist matroxfb_accel
blacklist matroxfb_base
blacklist matroxfb_crtc2
blacklist matroxfb_DAC1064
blacklist matroxfb_g450

etc....

GPU info:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] [1002:67b0] (rev 80)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Radeon R9 390X [1043:04df]
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

What's funny is that it's still using radeon even when I blacklisted them...

I wasn't sure how to link the monitors to the screens, so I looked up the xorg wiki and tried to figure out how it worked, this was my understanding, please feel free to point out my mishaps.

New -PRO is out:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-PRO-16.60

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

Looks it has some more extended hardware support...GCN 1.0 included...

And it seems to have issues with gtk DE (cinnamon at least...Anyone tried on gnome?) and with the dual monitors in mate...

Good start for the 16.60...

Fedora 25 with the 4.9.5 kernel is running wayland / AMDGPU fine for me with an RX 480. No screen tearing is nice. Not sure I can go back now.

Gaming wise it works some games the performance is slow others great. Im not gamming as much now so I can deal with that.

And according to phoronix the only the thing they improved is distro support. Thats like the second or third release with no actual improvements. Cant they just make a "normal" linux package, that can be repackaged to fit other distros. There arent too many people gaming on centos 7.3 and with every distro you can find someone who will maintain the driver package. WTF AMD. They should work on other things likes getting the kernel to work with new kernels (something that should have been fixed after they dropped fglrx) or improving performance (unless of course they did those two things without telling us)

2 Likes

Which distro are you using? Tomorrow I might just spin up an ubuntu install to test out the driver. Im just wondering if its finally compatible woth 16.10 (but it definitely wont work with 17.04 once thats out)

It does not look compatible with 16.10 from the release notes and the install scripts. I tried it on Mint with the 4.4 kernel active. I might try to also try an ubuntu gnome install just to see if the issue is with all gtk DEs if i have the time.

Maybe they are targeting miners or OpenCL programmers that can be using CentOS and require the PRO.

It seems that with this one the hardware support is complete which is what the focused on until now. Maybe now they can finally make the driver more streamlined.

Damn, I didn't even think of opencl but it kind of makes sense, it is the pro driver, after all. No ubuntu 16.10 support still sucks though. Companies need to stop assuming everyone's on god damn LTS. Hopefully theyll at least make the driver compatible with the next lts kernel (i think that might actually be the upcoming 4.10) because running the outdated 16.30 on arch linux is no fun

hmm what's actuall benefit of making update on amdgpupro with opencl since you can use amdgpu+opencl from AUR or similar place...

Of what parameters should I run glxinfo ? I also went vanilla and redid the installation of amdgpu and it's configs, then went to composer to make sure it was set to automatic, still no change. The effects seem to be triggered via operation of KDE plasma, I tried to test on other applications but none of them seem to trigger the screen tear effect.

I wonder if this is a bug with KDE and not with amdgpu?

....Having opencl?

[booker@linux ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
           Display Server: Fedora X.org 119.1 driver: N/A Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.5-200.fc25.x86_64, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3
[booker@linux ~]$ inxi -C
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6500 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 814 MHz 2: 841 MHz 3: 843 MHz 4: 836 MHz
[booker@linux ~]$ glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
    Max core profile version: 4.1
    Max compat profile version: 3.0
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

im on fedora 25 and for some reason Rocket League crashed in the Main Menu. Tearing is really bad. i have no idea whats wrong. any suggestions?

I'm on the radeon driver and it crashes for me too. I think its just a really bad port.

Fedora 25 here and the console outputs are trhe same. I dont have rocket league to test sadly.

@FaunCB thats sorta sad.... time to make amd driver great again?

@Marten so weird... maybe its because of Rocket League? I dont have many games on Steam/Linux...

those are all the games that i own, do you have any of them? i would install them and see how there are running in comp. to your machine.

What opengl version does rocket league need?
Also there's updates coming in Linux 4.10 that fixes some games

rocket league uses OpenGL 4.1 ... hmmm, ok so maybe the opengl version isnt supported or needs additional fiddling. good call! thx, now i can actually work on something :)

My linux games.

@Marten im gonna load Borderlands 2 and see if that loads up.

@Eden os it turns out OpenGL 4.1 is handled by Mesa 13. i ran

booker@linux ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.5-200.fc25.x86_64, LLVM 3.8.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

so the core profile is too low? i've seen some outputs with 4.5 as core profile.