The AMDGPU Info/News Thread

One of the things holding me back is talk of certain games not running. I used to be AMD only, after many years of frustration i had to switch to Nvidia, which to be fair has been alright apart from some really annoying desktop compatibility issues and it being closed source. But Nvidia as a company is not something i really want to support if i have a choice, i hope they stop trying to shaft their customers as they make good products.

For example on my APU AMDGPU-PRO install Battleblock theater will not run :/ no messages just not going to play, it's the same with catalyst. Also games like Dying light are not supported on AMD. There are quite a few AAA ports that are done with no official AMD support so if you get a texture problem or low performance then that is your lot, some don't even run and may never run.

Still, as said il probably wait for Vega + newer drivers. Zen should be out by then so i should be able to build a decent AMD only rig.

2 Likes

That is true...To be honest it was montly that the AMD driver on Linux was such a mess the last few years that many devs did not want get involved with it. This should improve as the driver matures...

That being said some games not theoretically supported actually work fine with AMDGPU-PRO like Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Awesome, Fedora has a copr repo giving vulkan support, opengl 4.3 and the latest amdgpu code :D

$ glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
    Max core profile version: 4.3
    Max compat profile version: 3.0
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.0-rc1
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.0-rc1
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 13.0.0-rc1
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
1 Like

You're tempting me to try it..... BUT I CAN'T. I hate that thing.

What do you hate about it?

Yes, now I can go back to Fedora on my main rig, it was a real pain before, that I felt like using Ubuntu. In a way though, I did like Fedora more for some reason, but GPU drivers were agonizing.

1 Like

It doesn't work on any of my systems and the one system it did work on it ran for about a day and then my laptop died. I'm blaming Fedora on that because I was playing skyrim and doing shit not hours before perfectly well.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=229229 directions for mint 18 to install AMDGPU-PRO

New AMDGPU PRO driver release (16.40-348864) out for Ubuntu & Red Hat

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx

Mesa 13.0 has landed in arch testing repos.

in other news, Xfire doesn't work in the new Skyrim SE

At least the improved the page to actually point you to the correct driver for the correct card...

In tried the new AMDGPU-PRO drivers and they seem to fix the gtk bug that caused the black screen on gnome, cinnamon etc environments even with the 4.4.0-45 kernel.

1 Like

Thanks. this is good. Although it's not a hardship that was why i am running a dual DE with MATE as primary, ar least i know i can swap to cinnamon now.

I still wanna know where my 370 SUPPORT IS. FUCKING APPLE SUPPORTS MY 370 WITH AMDGPU-PRO.

Is the 370 a southern island card?

GCN 1 aparently though I thought it was 1.1. Same boat as the 250/X.

Probably Southern Island i think? In that case, Linux 4.9 with experimental SI support enabled, simple :D

2 Likes

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/%7Emareko/mesa/commit/?h=glthread-5-rebased&id=398c71e0c85a52271b8c46a5bfa62b02b8fadb72

Borderlands 2 is 70% faster.

1 Like

Right now Im to tired to understand this properly. Is that improvement just for radeon, or also for amdgpu? Or is it for all of mesa?

You either have the open stack, which is AMDGPU+MESA or the proprietary one which is AMDGPU-PRO.

This update is about AMDGPU+MESA it seems.

1 Like