The AMDGPU Info/News Thread

Let me know how :U

Sorry for the late reply, but either way nothing works. Apperently the driver is only compatible with linux 4.8 and and 4.9 (im using 4.9) and xorg 1.18 (im using 1.18). So its pretty much fglrx all over again. Aren't those exactly the issues they wanted to fix with the new hybrid driver?

The PRO is still in not fully featured thus it still has dependency to the kernel version. That much is a given for a while now. It will take some time to iron these things out.

Generally AMD wants most people on the open driver (which does not have such an issue) and the proprietary one used for specific professional tasks. At this point unless you want to use things like OpenCL you do not really need the PRO driver. The kernel 4.9 with MESA 17 gives pretty much the same performance for things like gaming for example.

hey guys.

so i have a super fresh fedora25 installation on my machine and i finally want to get some games to work with my rx480. i havnt updated nor did anything to get newer packages and / or kernel because the last time i installed the amdgpu-pro driver it crashed the westen / xorg and some kernel modules.

my question is: what do i need to install to get the gpu fully used by the system?

Nothing. (except update your system)

But optionals,

dnf install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu mesa-vulkan-drivers

The first isnt really needed, the second provides vulkan support.

Other optional is to use updates testing, it will get mesa and driver updates first. Currently llvm 3.9 is in testing which provides OpenGL 4.3. IF you want this now use that, if not you'll find it in your updates in a week anyway as its almost through testing.

1 Like

I followed this guide by @Eden to get everything for my AMD card:

I have a R9 380x and it runs out of the box without any problems, it also games very well. You will have amdgpu as your driver on a fresh system, which is the kernel driver. You should already be using it, you can verify that with:
lspci -k | grep -i amd

All I did on my fedora25 is to update everything and have the latest kernel, then add the copr repo and update the packages for my amd gpu from the copr repo.

1 Like

As of this coming week~ for opengl 4.3 support on polaris cards this repo wont be needed. You may still need it for older cards, like your 380x.

Fedora 25 is nice. As stated above all you do is update the install to get the current Kernel with AMDGPU built in and game away. Wayland is great for watching Video's / Movies.with no tearing anymore.

1 Like

I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to run an Xorg session on my fedora25, the screen goes black for a second and gdm sends me back to login. I'm using Gnome so by default it's using Wayland. I'm 99% sure I could switch between Wayland/Xorg before I added a copr repo for wine-gallium-nine, this is my primary suspect that might have caused the issue. My only problems with Wayland are that I don't have an exit button on mpv, I can't use Shutter to take screenshots and gparted doesn't want to play nice with Wayland unless I do xhost +local: , thinking of trying KDE.

Oh forgot to mention, this is on amdgpu, I haven't done anything else except update to the latest kernel as described in my previous post.

ok, i updated the system and installed steam via a repo and installed rocket league but it still works with 20-30fps even with forced opengl

lspci -k | grep -i amd
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] (rev c7)
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
	Kernel modules: amdgpu
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device aaf0

videos are tear free which is very nice but it seems that still the rx480 isnt fully working.

inxi -Gb
System:    Host: localhost.localdomain Kernel: 4.9.13-201.fc25.x86_64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome 3.22.3
           Distro: Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)
Machine:   Device: desktop System: MSI product: MS-7971 v: 1.0
           Mobo: MSI model: Z170-A PRO (MS-7971) v: 1.0 UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1.G0 date: 11/23/2016
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6500 (-MCP-) speed/max: 872/3600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
           Display Server: Fedora X.org 119.1 driver: N/A Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.13-201.fc25.x86_64, LLVM 3.8.1)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.4

i indeed just updated my system and it works now, but it seems like its a) not using wayland and b) the driver is N/A? (or inxi cant show that?)

Its working as expected.
You may find improvements with llvm 2.9 and opengl 4.3

Keep in mind AMD hasn't worked on optimization yet, once the new code drops soon (which will also bring vega support) they're apparently going to focus on optimization as the drivers will have all the opengl/feature support etc.

What settings are you running it at?

1 Like

Oh ok. I'm kinda disappointed but relieved. I'm working on this for quite some time now and couldn't figure out how to get it to run better. well, if it simply DOESNT I can work on it all I want...

Okay, so keeping love and OpenGL up to date is important, got it. What's with Mesa? That's also important to be on the newest version right?

1 Like

When you figure out your process to install can you write a thing on Pastebin and send me a link? I wanna start doing write ups that people can read.

I'd like hardware listed (mobo ram cpu gpu) and what you did no install.

Actually this goes to everyone who has installed. Linux kernel version, distro, all of it.

I didn't know the open drivers had made so much progress, maybe i'll wait to see what amd will release instead of getting the 1080ti. I always wanted to use open drivers but it never worked well for me.

Polaris cards work really well in almost all native games now.

Vega cards might not come with support from release, its dependent on a chunk of code currently in development that looks like it might land in Linux 4.12.

But generally with the current gen cards (and last gen with a tweak) you dont need binary blobs anymore.

2 Likes

does wayland composite games? i hope it doesn't

On Fedora which "has" Wayland its not using it properly. As far as i can tell xorg is still the workhorse with some Xwayland attached to it.

In all fairness the Polaris Cards do work but not nearly as powerful as they could. but we will have to wait for 4.12 to see what will happen.

That is true. I dont have the benchmarks handy but I did run Heaven and Valley on Fedora 25 and Windows 10 with the same setting and it is a lot slower. However I can play my linux games at acceptable performance. I have seen AMDGPU getting better and better month over month.
Is was not that long ago tessellation did not work in the Heaven benchmark.

I use rocket league as my baseline because it runs straight in steam under Linux and win10 is no prob 75FPS 24/7 Fedora25 20-30FPS on an RX480.

both under Ubuntu and Fedora. Can't wait for 4.12... can't come soon enough.

4.10 had issues with gaming performance compared to 4.9. Anyone knows if these are fixed on 4.11?