Thank you Tek Syndicate for introducing me to GNU/Linux

It has been a little over a month since i tried my first distro, Linux Mint. After using it for simple task (web browsing, software downloads for tweaks, word/powerpoint documents, little gaming mainly half life) I have been very satisfied since leaving windows. Granted I took precautions by backing up my whole system on an old WD 500gb hdd and a system image on to a dvd just in case, Though I have been very satisfied with just the experience of using Linux, especially after viewing the videos on the Tek and documentary's on GNU/Linux and learning a little about Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds, & Eric S. Raymond.
Since then I moved on to Ubuntu Mate 16.04. I wanted to try out Gnome, but the recent release seemed a bit buggy though I believe it was an issue dealing with Ubuntu in general such as their repositories not showing downloads for common applications I was use to seeing and even Steam not wanting to start up after downloading it through the terminal. Kept getting this response:
$ steam
Running Steam on ubuntu 15.04 64-bit
"STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0_client)
libGL error: unable to load driver: r600_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast"

Though I was worried and a bit frustrated, I did not retreat. What is nice about Ubuntu is the community support which allowed me to find a solution which likely will solve the issue i had in the version of Gnome I was trying to run: "http://askubuntu.com/questions/689598/steam-wont-open-in-ubuntu-15-10"

Even got my VPN from PIA to work, though I am still learning to have it start up automatically along with my system having to automount my 3 additional drives in my system. But I am actually excited to get this stuff going, thanks guys.

Running Ubuntu Mate 16.04
CPU: AMD FX 8350 (top of the line server cpu lol)
Mobo: 990FX Sabertooth
GPU: Asus R9 280x
PSU: 800watt Seagate 80+Gold
(OS) SSD: 480GB PNY CS1311
(steam library): 500GB Crucial M4
(storage): WD 2TB, WD 1TB

8 Likes

Great post!

I also switched my OS from windows 10 to Ubuntu 15.10 with Gnome 3.
This because of the TekLinux videos on youtube. I hope Wendell wil release some new upcoming Linux videos soon.

Also, i crashed my linux OS when updating to 16.04, so i will keep running my current wily werewolf build.

Gulli.

I also got into Linux thanks to the Tek. It's been a few years & all 3 of my systems are running it now.

It's the OS I never knew I wanted!

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Can't say I got into Linux though Tek had been using Linux way before I even new Teksyndicate existed but they did help me smooth out some bugs here and there. Happily using Linux Mint 17.2 on my gaming pc and a different Linux distro on every one of my other computers in my house. Still have windows 7 on my system in duel boot incase I need it like for my RHEL7 cores I know completely backwards needing windows for a Linux Administrator cores but that’s another story. Maybe on my next system I will just virtualize a copy of windows 10 in case I need a particular application but for me most of the things I need work under Linux so I don't see much of a reason to shift back.

The Tek pushed me head first into using linux for more than just fooling around with raspberry pis. Today I installed Ubuntu onto an old 2010 macbook pro which I am typing on now :)

Edit (1 Hour later): I have now wiped stock Ubuntu and I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 and I've almost finished installing all my usual software and Gnome tweaks. All that in an hour. I f*cking love Linux.

1 Like

I have to admit the community here has pushed me further along than i ever imagined i would go. While I am a crackpot ? I am a better rounded crackpot than i use to be. Windows has been making me miserable for quite awhile now and Zoltan pushing into using Linux has really changed my understanding of things. At the end of the day, I have stopped worrying about what windows is doing. I have more options now.

Just jumped on the Linux train myself, thanks to wendell I am now a somewhat amateurish owner of an arch system so many bells and whistles compared to Windows 10, it's like the curtain has finally been lifted from in front of the OS and I've been handed a wrench labeled root and been told do as you wish