Testing 5 systems for Kdenlive and Gaming with The Linux Gamer | Level One Techs

Special Thanks to The Linux Gamer https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1Kcz-CuGM6mxzL3B1_Eiw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/testing-5-systems-kdenlive-and-gaming-linux-gamer

I’m part of the “bad at naming” club too. I once had a pet cat that I named “the cat” because I couldn’t think of anything more creative.

The Linux Gamer seems like a good guy. I subscribed to his channel after watching the last few videos you did with him. But Linux gaming is where my fringe is.

I generally stick with Linux Mint as my main platform. I have been using Linux as an OS since 2006-2007. I started with Ubuntu, because at the time, it was the distro everyone was saying was “noob friendly”, it was my first introductory to the Linux desktop. But I couldn’t deal with the changes Canonical were making back then and jumped to Mint. I am using 18.3 now and I am still pleased with Mint. Though I have Manjaro on a laptop and that is pretty nice too. For me, I use what I am comfortable with.

Finding a good video editor has always been a bit of an uphill battle on Linux, but the newest Kdenlive is pretty good. Though, I do all my video editing in Blender’s non linear video editor. I find it to be the best choice for me, and Blender has one of the best compositors (though, the learning curve is high) because it is a 3D modeling program at it’s core with many plug-ins and features.

Openshot is another video editor on Linux that is coming along pretty nicely, and I also recommended looking at Lightworks, which is not Open source and requires an online account.

Enjoyed this video a lot. The onscreen chemistry was reminiscent of the old days but without the needless hyper activity. Better in fact than the tek syndicate content of old. More like this please.

1 Like

Just watched the video, and I also want to chime in that I think team red for CPU and Team green for GPU is my recommended way to go with Linux. Yeah, AMD are making strides with their open source video drivers. But if you want consistency, Nvidia is still the way to go.

Ryzen and Threadripper is amazing on Linux right now (I have a 1700, and it feels like butter) . It’s a great choice. But the AMD video drivers are still a bit all over the place. Who knows? Maybe in a few upcoming releases, things will start to be sorted out? Especially on Vega with these APU’s that a lot of people will be reliant on due to the bad prices of video cards. Hopefully the days of AMD having junky drivers on Linux will be gone soon.

But for the time being, Nvidia is still the safe bet, if you go the direction of a discrete GPU.

How can you say that. Everytime you update the system the proprietary driver breaks. I would rather have a slower system that i don’t have to fix every time the OS updates it self.

The sudden change in voices at the end was cool and spooky.

I have never had that issue. Then again, I am not on the bleeding edge of Nvidia drivers. But my most recent major update on Mint (which was a couple months ago) didn’t my proprietary drivers.

Or maybe this isn’t a recent thing?

Not had that, not for years and im on an arch system with frequent rolling nvidia beta updates.

It’s age old thinking, where by people used to install the driver manually from the Nvidia website then had no clue that they had to update DKMS or in some circumstances kernal match. They were met with a black screen after pretty much any regular kernal update happened from the distro. At this point most beginners gave up but some soldiered on and realized they could blacklist the driver in nano and get a working system once the correct updates had been re-applied.

These days pretty much all mainstream distros ship with a tested repository version and patches are applied on update. In fact in manjaro it is easy to swap out versions at will.

Then on vanilla arch or Anteros there is this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrader/

Because rarely there is a 32bit lib mismatch. Very easy way to rollback drivers.

Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation.

It’s actually been forever since I have manually installed my own Nvidia drivers. I think I remember running into this issue in the past, now that you mention it. But then again, Mint is not bleeding edge. I haven’t even updated the kernel from the default one and I am still running Kernel 4.4.0, which is quite old (Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.04. The latest Kernel in the Mint repos is 4.13, which is still not recent.

The video driver I am using is Nvidia’s 384.111, which is not exactly new either.

Mint 19, which launches in a couple months from now will be jumping over to the Ubuntu 18.04 branch.

I was expecting this to be a newer development. But I can see how that is frustrating for people who are installing everything manually.

I have Majaro on a laptop, but the laptop has a horrible intel integrated graphics GPU, it uses the MESA drivers, I haven’t messed around with the settings manager yet.

I was thinking about pushing over to Manjaro on the desktop, but I can never really find the time to back up everything onto an external drive, reformat and install a new distro. Yeah, I am not using separate partitions for my home directory.

That’s the whole idea of Linux, you don’t have to install any drivers they are built into the Kernal. There are a few fringe cases with oddball bluetooth, wifi devices for instance where a user would still need to compile a driver and patch but honestly it’s always better to do prior research to see if the hardware you have or you are going to buy will work with Linux rather than having to wade through that hair pulling experience.

The nvidia nouveau driver is supported ootb on mint / ubuntu. I believe the only thing required to get the binary ( non free ) driver working is adding this official PPA : https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

At that point the driver manager ( or cli if your inclined ) shows you your options.

Older but still relevant example:

1 Like

Ah, when I said “install everything manually” I should have said “Nvidia drivers”. But yeah, I get what you are saying. That is one of the big pluses with AMD’s open source drivers as well as Mesa and nouveau for that matter.

I get that the closed source nature on Nvidia’s drivers can make them a bit of a headache for manual installation.

Right now I was running on mostly the default branch of mint 18.3, which is stable enough for me to do everything I need to. But thanks for the link for the Nvidia propitiatory driver PPA.

But still as I was saying earlier, I still think if you are sticking to the curated branches of the Nvidia Proprietary drivers in most distros, I still fine the performance to be much more consistent across the boards.

1 Like

This video is relevant to my interests… But you guys missed one garbage build: a overclocked E5-1680 V2. It’s a 8 core part with an unlocked multiplier that is starting to come down sharply in price. Might hit 300 or so soon. (Especially when the new Mac Pro is announced and put for sale)

Some early adopters of that part are seeing tremendous returns on it by overclocking it:

The Threadripper part might also work to have your host be on NUMA node 1, and your VM on NUMA node 2, so gaming can happen on both OSes at the same time, or Premiere can be rendering in Windows while gaming in Linux.

Also, the command line differences between MLT and FFmpeg are just too great IMO. I can only feel confident doing simple edits with Kdenlive at it’s current state. FFmpeg needs to support DNxHR before I consider it seriously for production 4K, cause DNxHR is a production grade codec that is easier on the CPU than H.264. If anything, push for FFmpeg to support DNxHR sooner rather than later.

Does wendell’s not son… have a video of installing kdenlive on fedora somewhere?

It’s in RPM Fusion. Add RPM Fusion then just sudo dnf install kdenlive

…unless you want to build from scratch.

1 Like

thanks. it worked…
it wanted me to install VLC also.

It’s a dependency, so yeah, it has to be installed alongside the KDE core elements.