Tesla trucks

Yeah although I’m have mixed feelings on an electric performance car. On one hand you get insane performance. But on the other hand I’d probably have more fun in a 450hp manual N/A gasoline car.

As far as i see it the only way to make Tesla’s a reasonable option is to have removable suitcase sized batteries. EVs wont take off until they have the range to do a roadtrip, something the US family loves. I imagine a Tesla “Gas” station would just be a place where you can swap out said removable batteries like you would an empty propane tank for a full one. Otherwise i don’t see them taking a significant market share outside of pure city dwellers.

1 Like

It’s all about building the infrastructure, in Europe for instance Circle K is partnering with automakers to put charging points at their gas stations.

People don’t stop for breaks on road trips?

Surely there is a mod for the board OS to play along some engine sounds :smiley: Someone somewhere surely did it.

I can imagine, but that wasn’t my point though :stuck_out_tongue:
Especially as I understand the production capacities at Tesla aren’t the issue, but the supply of batteries.

Tesla is not making a lot of vehicles to start with so their battery plants could most likely keep up. But if it goes mainstream with hundreds on thousands of vehicles hell millions then yes batteries will get expensive and the rare earth elements will rocket in price.

1 Like

although, that dude seemed to have the longest 24 gallon tank of gas ever haha

The 1 million mile warranty is a mart move, without it no one would buy it. With it they have a chance.
600 to 700 mile range would be better with the drive 11 hours 10 hours off allowed by law.
There are a ton of warehouses in eastern PA that supply NYC.
I’ll let you guys know if these start ending up along 80 or 78, or one the Cross Bronx Expressway :slight_smile:

One mushroom cloud in the mid-east these will sell like hotcakes

Wal-Mart says it’s preordered 15 of Tesla’s new electric tractor trailers

The pilot is planned for the U.S. and Canada. Wal-Mart’s fleet has about 6,000 trucks

Tesla shares closed up 0.8 percent Friday.

J.B. Hunt Transport Services announced earlier on Friday it has reserved “multiple” new electric semis just unveiled by Elon Musk.

A company could save tens of thousands of dollars if the Tesla Semi is, as Musk said, 25 cents cheaper to operate per mile than a standard diesel truck.

The average number of miles driven a year per large truck is just over 100,000, according to industry analysts. That means each Tesla Semi could save a company at least $25,000 a year.

1 Like

Make that Supercharged and you’ve got yourself a deal.

For 2 hours every 6?

I don’t like stopping much.

I’ll stop for about 10 minutes every 350 or so miles, but typically it’s only long enough to take a leak and top off the tank.

45 min minimum ever 4.5h tends to be the rule in the EU, good reason too.

Charge rate is ~30 minutes for 400 miles. The range is calculated at 80k GVW at highway speed, 60mph.

There’s nothing on the market with even close to the specs this truck has. A small time hit charging can be made up by the uphill speed and lowered maintenance cost. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Megachargers at fleet yards, especially since the majority of the target market for this truck is short-run fleet use.

That is huge
Getting his foot in the door with the 2 of the largest trucking companies half the battle.

JB has drop yards on the east coast where long haul drivers do drop and hooks and JB takes them and does the multi-stop deliveries in urban and suburban areas.

Wal-mart has a distribution network second to none and invented Just in Time warehousing. They can also turn then into a rolling billboard for “We care about…” matched to different geographical locations.

Daimler (Frieghtliner and Western Star) and Navistar (International) are the 2 giants.

I wounder if a highly illegal 1000 watt CB radio will affect it’s range :slight_smile:
aaauuuddddiiiioooooo

3 Likes

Meh. The driving position in the truck is dumb, their are no mirrors and besides that you can’t even look out a damn window in the truck. I have over 500,000 miles driving a semi, I call bs. It might be good for going say, point to point hauls from one Walmart center to another, but coast to coast…, no way.

And then you have to think about the glowing screens blinding you at night, a definite no go. This concept is so fail, and I’m sure it will get tweaked… but ya.

1 Like

This is a concept… There is almost no concept car that came to production 1-to-1.

The screens are not really an issue by the way, they have automatic night mode just like the consumer Teslas.

Having a driver is a short term issue if you think about it. Whether it is doable, we will see but cars. bus’s. trains and trucks will not need humans at some point.

I think that point is closer than many realize, I personally welcome it.