Terrible luck with video cards?

During the last black Friday I bought a 7870, after installing it in my machine it ran anywhere from 2-10 minutes then monitors flashed black and displayed an entire screens of artifacts, I didn't think much of and returned the card shortly thereafter.  I just got a new r9 280x and after installing it it's doing the same thing as the 7870... according to AMD catalyst and Raptr drivers are up to date.  Any ideas as to whats going on here?  The only thing I can think of is that my PSU isn't powering these bigger cards properly, despite being 700w it's aprox. 6 years old now.

Specs:

FX 8350,

Asus Sabertooth 990fx,

12gb Ram,

Rosewill 80+bronze 700w,

Thanks in advance for any info 

Perhaps broken PCI slot? Since sabertooth has like 4 of them, try another one, and tell us how it works out. 

Smells like its the motherboard. Try a diff PCI slot like Someone said and get back to us.

6 year old psu ? specify witch one , you might be killing your cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182191&cm_re=rosewill_700w_green_series-_-17-182-191-_-Product

My case only has room to put the 280x in the top slot, but I'm currently using the top 2 with 2x 7770's and there's no problems.

psu should be fine, unless its dying offcourse..

Motherboard could be the culprit, but I'm betting it's one of the PCI-E 12V connectors from the PSU.

Just put in a new PSU (NZXT HALE82 V2 700w) and everything seems to be working fine now :)