TerraMaster TD2 Giveaway - what would you do?

It might be fun to spin up a VM and point it at this for seeding completely legal <cough, cough> Linux ISOs…yes, Linux ISOs.

The specs claims that it is 18dBA. Of course, if it ends up being too loud, you can always “Noctua-ize” it. lol

1 Like

I would give this to my kid so they can save their media on it and play with VMs. i have no need for this.

I’m currently working on getting my skills up to get an IT job. Repurposing my old gaming PC for a Proxmox server and get going with containers and stuff. This would be great for experimenting!

2 Likes

I work for a not for profit , what i would use this for would be to back up media content , that is posted on our web site , and also bought music , video’s visual backgrounds and all other important media, if there was room left over , extra copies of OS and other documnets , thanks for Your consideration , our not for profit camp has been hard hit , and this would help alot .

I would love this for a project, building a home music server. I already have the software to use, I don’t have a dedicated box I can try this on. Thanks :smiley:

Back up all my uni files, since next year I’m going to be doing my automotive design course and am going to have a tonne of huge files.

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t use it. I would populate it with some 8 TB drives in RAID 1 to replace my mother’s 1TB external backup drive.

raid 0 ssd or hdd for minecraft server.

I wanna use it as a on the go storage for my mac m1 making videos and content about my garden and smithing instruction videos from my fiancé

Having a small tb3 external would help alot getting this going and not attempting to use any of my retro gear which are on the their last legs as is for this would keep them running longer as their age is starting to show in cap rot and speed limitations

Keeping to tb3/type c would help modernize my storage as i currently am working with a xserve raid hooked to my mac pro 2009 as my current raid system leading to alot of slow downs and head aches

2 Likes

I would Try it out as a Media server.

I have two 4TB drives sitting at home, because I was going to build a NAS for my friends, I am still waiting on hardware deals to build it, but I guess if I win, I get to save up some money.

So yeah, def. building a NAS.

I’d love to finally get a media server up and running

Not tryna say I would under utilise it but I would use it as a home media Center for my videos and phitos

1 Like

Plex server for sure.

i will probably take it appart to see what makes it tick and then put it back together once i find i can not use it for something else besides data storage and the use it as a nas with the abillty to acces it extremely fast if i need to

2 Likes

I’d use it as a backup target. I have nextcloud, a bunch of elasticsearches, some databases. Maybe even FW config and home folder backups if I can orchistrate that.
My current server does not have a thunderbolt connection, but my desktop does. I can spin up a VM and run storage backups from there.
The zfs pool in using as a NAS right now won’t need a backup folder anymore. (I’m doing this for now)

Neat little machine, I was looking for something like this for cold storage anyways. RAID1 suits me fine

1 Like

I would use it as a backup to store my software and game development projects.

Probably just a backup. I’m not sure.

With the TerraMaster TD2 I would build PostgreSQL on the Go!