Terminal won't install anything

I'm using Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Xfce, whenever I try to sudo apt-get install anything it says "reading package lists", gets to 20%, stops and leaves behind an 8% in the next command. Moreover Software Manager won't open, I click on it, it asks for my password (every damn time) and then does nothing, I don't think it even shows up in the task manager. Anyone have a solution?

That is how linux mint runs, it ask for a password for everything, every little update as well. This is why I don't use it. but have you done a

sudo apt-get update

Start with - sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

after that try again - if it still wont work add --force to the install command (eg - sudo apt-get install leafpad --force)

As far as the password thing goes - thats mint for you. If you hate it try Fedora instead. Imsure there are others but I run Fedora 22 as an admin account with no password (Not at ALL Secure!!!!!) and i never get prompted for anything unless switching to SU

command line option --force is not understood

Try aptitude instead of apt-get

sudo aptitude install your-program-name

1.align your sources.
2.update your system.
3.install apt-file
4.update your system and establish some user preferences.

sudo apt-get install apt-file
sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-file update

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
sudo update-alternatives --set libgksu-gconf-defaults /usr/share/libgksu/debian/gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo
sudo update-gconf-defaults

if at any point 1,2,3,4 - the system halts so should you. dont proceed until you fix the problem.

--force or -f will only create dependency problems if you actually manage to force an installation. if apt-install doesnt do its job, fix the environment so that you can install without dependency hell.

Aptitude or Apt-Get - pick one and be faithful. Explanation for another day. you have work to do.

I recently used Aptitude , found it to be the better option because it will actually try and find a install solution for you and do allot of the work for you if a program won't install because a series of packages is wrong version or something else.

it fails the same way I said in the topic post on the first command

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you have some broken repo's. Have you added unofficial repo's? If so try disabling them.

For some reason whenever I install anything Ubuntu based I have to edit some config stuff to get it to update properly. Mine always hung at 0%, but this might work.

1. Open terminal
  2. "sudo vi /etc/gai.conf"
  3. Scroll down to where it says something like "::ffff:0:0/96 100"
  4. Uncomment it (delete the #)
  5. type ":wq" and press enter

This might work. No guarantees that it will, but it won't hurt to do it either.