Temps randomly jumping?

So for the pump. Connect to the pwm connection. For the double fans, plug it in to the CPU header?

pump goes on w_pump, (the white one to the left in the middle of the picture below) radiator fan goes on cpu_fan, other radiator fan goes on cpu_opt, other fans goes on cha_fan, unless they plug to molex

Both of the radiator fans are separate? One radiator fan to the CPU fan and the other radiator fan on opt? Because the manual does say to connect both of the fan wires into one connection, so I don't think that'll be able to work.

You might want to look at the installation manual for the cooler. If I'm not mistaken, the H100 v2 should have two wires coming out of the pump. the first one should go to the board(probably CPU_Fan), while the second cable goes to your fans.

In the water block, one of the wires is to power the pump. The other wire is a USB header.

So the cables coming out of the pump does not look like this:

I thought the cable for the USB header was independent, and needed to be plugged into the block?

That's correct. Sorry I misunderstood

No worries. Anyway, that double-headed cable diverts power to both fans. If you're hooked up correctly, the other cable should be the only cable in the cooling loop connected to a fan header

I did connect the pump to the CPU header and the radiator fans in a fan channel. My motherboard (ASUS Z170A) has a header named W_PUMP and I have a feeling that I need to connect the pump cable there and have the radiator fans connect to the CPU header? According to the manual, the W_PUMP is specifically for water cooling. I am curious.

1 Like

Disband what I said here. I rechecked and the fans are connected to the pump. To power the pump it is inside the CPU fan header. Assuming that this is correct. I am not sure why the temperatures still remain high at 20%-30% use even after a reinstall. And I am not sure why the RPM says 0.

Try mounting the rad with the tubes at the top. Or if the case supports it mount the rad at the top of the case as there may be air getting stuck in the water block.

I tried mounting it on the top and it seems the motherboard is getting in the way. What happens if I get the same effects when the tubes are on top instead of the bottom (mounted in the front) ?

You could try downloading CPUID HWMonitor and see how high the temps get under high sustained utility. Spikes are normal if theres a surge of utilization; if the temps drop off immediately, your cooler is working correctly.
just for reference, this is what I get on a 4790k with a Corsair H60. The 3 columns represent Current/Min/Max values

Did you check the fan profile? It may be set to something like "silent" which would allow the temp to spike in order to keep the fans quiet then ramp up the fan speed when the spike hits.

I left it at performance. Quiet or Balanced still gets the temperature to spike up without the fans roaring.

Well ? It is intel. and still within a margin of reason. Not overclocking are you ?

I planned to overclock but because of this issue, I have less motivation.

The tubes are at the top. No difference. Temps are still high at 20% with fans roaring.

I have done a stress test for the CPU. It seems at 100% load it gets about 70 Celsius.

Sorry I went away for a while.
It may not make a lot of difference but (if I'm reading the picture correctly) I think your fans are backwards, your fans are pulling air from the back of the case to the rad,
as far as I know the ideal scenario should be the opposite so that the radiator gets the colder air from the front and then the fan in the back helps pull the warm air out.

Don't get discouraged, you have great components, as soon as we find out what causes those crazy temp spikes you'll be hitting 6.66ghz ;)
Building your own pc for the first time saves you a lot of money which you pay in time. The second time is a breeze.

Also maybe a pump screw needs more or less screwing and the pump isn't parallel to the cpu, therefore not making perfect contact.

edit: also put your hand on the pump just to make sure it vibrates and it's working

1 Like