Telemetry: The gift that keeps on giving, now on servers

Telemetry is on Server 2016. Kinda surprised and yet not surprised by this move. Interesting to see if the business world says anything. At this point, data mining is (sadly) the norm. So even if high dollar clients were to ask MS to take away telemetry they would just shrug it off like all companies that know they have 80%+ marketshare.

Thoughts here guys? I was actually going to do a xeon skylake build and just go ahead and use 2016 instead of 10 but hell at this point it seems to be linux ftw

Our IT switched us over to Linux within a month after Win10 happend.
Looking at it now, it was the wisest move they could have made.
Thoughts? Microsoft might loose some customers, but they won´t care.

Yeah cause they are the comcast of operating systems

1 Like

Telemetry or not, someone is still watching all the traffic so metadata already unveils alot, just maybe not the smallest details.

Well there is a key diffrence between telemetry and actively spying.
Telemetry mainly is statistical data from certain apps and the OS that can be used for analysing and improving products.
Error and Bug reports is basicly also telemetry.
Telemetry tracking in Windows has allways been there pretty much since the Windows XP era.
But spying, thats a whole diffrent conversation.
Windows10 consumer versions contain actively spying tools like a key logger, and tools that log you local search and use habitats on the OS.
And that is basicly the bad part here.

I´m personaly very currious about Windows10 Enterprise LTSB which does not contain any modern apps, cortana, edge etc etc.
But this is just a plain version of windows10 enterprise.
Basicly the telemetry and spying on this version theorecticly should be allot less.
Because this version doesnt contain all the modern apps, that relay on online services.

5 Likes

Like what @Baz says, you might think yourself all obfuscated running GNU/Linux but if you are browsing the web and using online services you are already sprinkling a trail of metadata in your wake. Even if you use a VPN the websites you visit will record stuff about you/your machine and place cookies onto your system.

This Microsoft stuff is an extension of that down to the OS layer, it will log your hardware, the apps you use and how frequently and info about drivers. The telemetry won't directly identify you/log your location etc, but plenty of other Microsoft products and services do log this kind of functional data, your choice if/how you use them...

Unless people are going full Stallman they already reveal more about themselves to Apple/Google with their phone than what Microsoft will learn just from Windows Telemetry. Not enough people will care for Microsoft to loose significant customers over stuff like this - if the telemetry helps them build better products it will in fact do the opposite! In theory it should improve their Observe, Orient, Decide, Act cycle meaning they actually invest time developing/testing stuff that is wanted/needed rather than gambling on products/features that are not. Virtually all modern corporates are trying to do this, those that can't or are unable won't be the ones around in future.

Aye, and true, but one should also remember that it's an awful lot of information you can read from telltails when you know what to search for, it's the same in the real world; you can look at a single footprint and instantly know the gender, the weight, the direction (and where the heading is) and history and pretty much guess the intentions of the being that has passed that area.
Traffic is traffic, no matter it's virtual or physical.

1 Like

You are lucky, my IT company is polar opposite.

MUST EMBRACE WINDOWS 10

IE 11/EDGE IS MORE SECURE THEN FIREFOX AND CHROME

DROPBOX IS SHIT BUT ONE DRIVE IS GREAT

ALL COMPANY PHONES ARE WINDOWS MOBILE... HURR DURR

WINDOWS IS BETTER THAN OSX because $$$$

The extent to which they suck micro$oft's dick is disgusting.

1 Like

I can +1 this for my company, but not on the phones. No one likes Windows phones.

My colleagues with one exception don't like them either but it's the management level that's pushing it really hard.