Tek syndicate app

So, out of inspiration of the last inbox.exe, i've begun work on a mobile tek syndicate app, using angular and phonegap, it's in very early alpha, you can view latest posts, and that is about it so far. If any one wants to check it out, they can run it through phonegap, and the source can be found on my github page: https://github.com/jean1880/TekSyndicateForum. It's only day two on the build, but it has been coming along nicely, and you have a general theme of where things are going with it.

5 Likes

Just as an update, i have an APK build available on my dropbox for those that want to see it. Has no login/posting addedin yet, at this stage, it is just viewing the latest topics, and letting you read the threads.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oivmewz2ziobkhl/TekForum.apk?dl=0

Looks awesome, keep going!

Looking for feedback on which app icon people prefer, have two early versions to choose from.

Just post opinions, and we will see if there is a favourite.

1 Like

I think I perfer the dark one

1 Like

Awesome work @jean1880, Definetly go for the black theme. Will save me a ton of battery life lol :)

I like the dark on better.

The dropbox link of the build has been updated, now has lazy loading latest topics, viewing topics by categories, and loading of posts for topics.
Still to do:

• Enable login

• add search

• and pretty much anything else not stated as done lol

It is blazingly fast though, now use it as go to for checking and reading the forum through the day

Keep in mind this is still early alpha, so be prepared for the potential of the odd bug or two

1 Like

please do not begin a new repo for a tek app. there is an official repo to fork from and contribute to.

That old app has a very different goal and focus, and is built using native android scripts, this is a cross platform hybrid app, with full asynchronous loading, with speed significantly faster than even this site. There was no value in forking acode repo that didn't meet my performance expectations.

2 Likes

it doesnt matter. do what i did with it, fork it, erase it, put your code on it, talk to @wendell and submit a pull request. its not hard. use the original repo

You don't need to be rude about it. The repo hasn't been updated in months and like @jean1880 said, serves a different purpose. The new one runs as an angular app for the new forum that can be phone gapped to almost any platform. It is much faster too.

1 Like

the problem is he isnt following directions. if you want to change the direction of the app thats fine but it needs to be done on the official repo. its a simple method for changing the direction of the old repo. fork, erase, add, submit pull request.

start there and listen for about ten seconds, it states if you want to do an app thats fine but use the existing repo!

1 Like

I've tested it out on nexus 5, nexus 4 and a LG G3. I'm impressed with the responsiveness and load times. There was no weird stretching or distortion across 720p,1080p and 1440p, other than the tek logo was sitting right on the far left of the screen on all 3 devices(not even worth pointing out really). Keep us posted and I'll keep putting them through their paces.

@rockking Fair enough, valid criticism, and credit where credit is due. It was my mistake, I missed that in the original video, so I will now follow suite. Thank you for posting the video to point it out

@gerkinyagerkin The logo icon i do plan on padding out, just focusing on more functionality at the moment, then will come back to tidy up through various iterations

Yeah I thought as much. You are pushing this app out at a solid pace, keep it up man.

As far as flow goes, would people prefer a forced login at app start, or optional login? I was building towards optional login, since a guest user has the privilege to browse the forum, and just needs to login to post, etc. Just curious what others think, I will have the app remember your login, or not, depending on your choice at login

Awesome work man!
I'm planning to do a notification system, nothing really fancy, for Linux desktops and I will include the teksyndicate forum notification in it.
This raise a question, what do you use for the notification/reading/posting on the forum, do you use an API of some sort or are you doing web scraping?

the repo was quite old when i started on it too. guess what, in the video it clearly says use the old repo if your going to do an app. im not being rude, im telling him what he should have done. and he did it.