Talk me out of Epyc (I was talked into Epyc)

Congratulations, Newegg has better DDR4 ECC prices than flea bay

Next gen threadripper is coming up. 96 cores, veri sexi

Yeah, but threadripper has no ipmi.

Also ddr5 ECC is $30/gb, and ddr4 ECC is $2/gb. My ram budget allowed me 256gb instead of 16gb.

wat? ddr5 reg is like $3.75/GB and the closest ddr4 reg is like $2.90/GB

This. I’ve avoided DDR5 due to price and availability. I’ve also seen some mixed opinions on stability. Just not worth it for my personnel use case.

Where?

ebay; since we’re talking epyc/threadripper I’m thinking registered memory, if you added the caveat of unregistered memory I would totally agree with the massive ddr5 availability and pricing disadvantage. but for registered memory they aren’t that far from eachother.

vs

2 Likes

Wow, well next time. I basically got a free cpu with my motherboard, and nothing I anticipate doing would use the extra speed. I do anticipate using more pcie lanes than the ryzen has. My existing hardware would use all the lanes, and I still need to get my sas controller.

I went with Lenovo P620 to get Threadripper Pro 3975WX (32 Core/64 Thread), more PCI lanes, and ECC. I settled on Lenovo because the machine is compact vs SuperMicro and most other Threadripper appropriate cases available. I’m using NVMe for work and spinning disk for some of the use cases you described. I have the cage for 4x 3.5 drives and there are 2 5.25" bays you can use for additional disks (2x2.5 + 1x 3.5 icydock in my use case).

You probably don’t need a lot of threads for your use case and lower core count 39X5 systems are available pretty cheaply. If you have a business and want to buy from Lenovo, make sure to sign up for the “Pro” account for a cheaper price. I don’t use IPMI, but the system has AMD Dash. I’m sure there are threads on this site covering the difference.

Here’s an article with pictures showing the size difference.

Threadripper would have been fun. But it was way over kill. It also costs way more than I want to spend. First and second gen can be had for an okay price. But they generate a lot of heat and take a lot of power.

I don’t live in a place with expensive power. But I want to build a monster computer to run 24/7. The only reason I would need a threadripper is transcoding. And I may put one together for that in the future. More likely I will end up with an intel ARC gpu for av1 though.

Pair Intel Alder Lake 12th Gen with a W680 motherboard gets you the ECC and then you can use intel quick sync for transcoding, which Threadripper can’t handle. It saves on the cost/heat/power/size of the GPU anyway. I’m not sold on AV1 as the ecosystem isn’t there yet.
Check out something like the ASUS W680-ACE which supports the i5 you listed, ECC, integrated graphics, dual Ethernet (1gbe and 2.5gbe), ipmi via card, and PCIe 5.0. It’s only $330.

1 Like

My biggest concern with that board is the DDR5. From what I’ve heard the DDR5 ECC is hella expensive and hard to find. That board is also hard to find. Other than that it looks perfect.

Welp, everything came in.

The cpu was only wrapped in bubble wrap and in a plastic envelope. CPU lid was dented and one of the I guess traces connecting one of the components on the under side was broken. I’m requesting a refund on it.

The mother that was listed on neweggs website was H12SSL-i. What was actually in the box when it showed up was H12SSL-NT. I actually think I like it better. I lost the sata ports but gained 10GB nics. I’ll just need different cables for the drives. It also was just the board. I was hoping to at least get the I/O shield but no dice.

Well, I talked myself into true EPYC (I already have a 3000 series SoC mainboard). Found a great deal on a 7551P for under 200€ on Aliexpress, a Supermicro H11SSL-i for under 290€ on the same platform (different seller) and gave myself a cooler option: 1U w/o fan or 2U with fan. It’s going in a 3U case, some arts&crafts with cardboard is in order. Empty cereal boxes are very useful. And cheap! :shushing_face:

I’ll source some ECC RAM locally (Aliexpress doesn’t have that good of deals on RAM anymore, especially ECC) but I don’t have the small AMD torque wrench required for properly securing the CPU. If anyone has a spare they’re willing to part with I’d be happy to take it off your hands :wink: (we’ll figure out how to do the payment, paypall is not my pall!)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.