Taking the Linux Plunge (As a Gamer)

I thought that’s what the point of Proton/Play on Linux/WINE was for.

Maybe I can simply run the Windows version of Steam already installed on that secondary Drive via WINE or something. I’ll have to test it tomorrow hen I have the time.

Still, that doesn’t explain why I can’t download anything to that secondary drive. I specifically did not want my download folder to be on my M.2.

Running via wine should work as expected. Proton is a throwin layer inbetween, so it might not recognize existing stuff on an ntfs drive.
Maybe someone smarter has more comments about this, I don’t use windows so I can’t really say for sure.

You can’t change the permissions because it’s a NTFS partition which doesn’t support filesystem permissions in the same way the EXT filesystems do. They have to be explicitly enabled by NTFS-3G otherwise it won’t work correctly.

From the NTFS-3G docs,

NTFS uses specific ids to record the ownership of files instead of the uid and gid used by
Linux. As a consequence a mapping between the ids has to be defined for ownerships to be
recorded into NTFS and recognized.

By default, this mapping is fetched from the file .NTFS-3G/UserMapping located in the NTFS
   partition. The option usermapping= may be used to define another location. When the option
   permissions is set and no mapping file is found, a default mapping is used.

Each line in the user mapping file defines a mapping. It  is  organized  in  three  fields
   separated  by  colons. The first field identifies a uid, the second field identifies a gid
   and the third one identifies the corresponding NTFS id, known as a SID. The  uid  and  the
   gid are optional and defining both of them for the same SID is not recommended.

If  no interoperation with Windows is needed, you can use the option permissions to define
   a standard mapping. Alternately, you may define your  own  mapping  by  setting  a  single
   default  mapping with no uid and gid. In both cases, files created on Linux will appear to
   Windows as owned by a foreign user, and files created on Windows will appear to  Linux  as
   owned  by  root. Just copy the example below and replace the 9 and 10-digit numbers by any
   number not greater than 4294967295. The resulting behavior is the same as the one with the
   option permission set with no ownership option and no user mapping file available.

::S-1-5-21-3141592653-589793238-462643383-10000

If  a strong interoperation with Windows is needed, the mapping has to be defined for each
   user and group known in both system, and the SIDs used by Windows  has  to  be  collected.
   This will lead to a user mapping file like :

john::S-1-5-21-3141592653-589793238-462643383-1008
          mary::S-1-5-21-3141592653-589793238-462643383-1009
          :smith:S-1-5-21-3141592653-589793238-462643383-513
          ::S-1-5-21-3141592653-589793238-462643383-10000

The utility ntfs-3g.usermap may be used to create such a user mapping file.

I would strongly recommend re-downloading the games using the Linux version of Steam. If you run the Windows version in Wine then you will miss out on Proton.

The main issue will be that Linux does not really support NTFS filesystems. Using NTFS-3G, which uses FUSE, or something similar will get you to be able to mount and view the files but it shouldn’t be relied upon. And you definitely shouldn’t try to run Windows executables from that partition. That is just asking for trouble.

Steam can be very picky about library folders. It won’t let you add one unless it is empty. So you will have to move everything out, add the library, and then move it all back, then you will have to “install” the games one by one and let Steam discover the local files.

You can put your download folder wherever you want, just make a partition for it and tell it to mount where you want in your fstab. Or just make the downloads folder a symlink to wherever you want the downloads to be. If you are talking about Steam downloads the same is true, just make a partition and tell it where to mount in fstab or make a symlink to where you want the data to actually be.

What I’m getting out of this is that, if I want things to work properly, I should just slowly move things over onto a new partition with a filesystem that works natively on Linux. That correct?

There are currently only 4 games that I play on a regular basis: Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, and Skyrim. GW2 and SC2 are under their own launchers, SC2 being Battle.net, of course.

I believe it would be wise to create taht new partition, redownload Guild Wars 2 and Starcraft 2 onto it, and try to get them working well under Linux before I try tackling my entire Steam library.

Sound solid?

Yes, that is what I would recommend.

I personally used Lutris to install Battle.net and it worked fine, I was able to install SC2 and the StarCraft remaster without issue.

Lutris can be really helpful in getting games running as the install scripts located on the lutris site have the nessicary patches, etc. to get the game up and running.

It looks like GW2 runs fine and there are some lutris install scripts available.

For the Steam games I would say start with Proton, and look over on ProtonDB to see how well they might run. PoE looks like it should run pretty good, and Skyrim should run fine on Proton as well.

I got Battle.net installed on my new partition and, from there, installed SC2. Got it to launch and got past the loading screen. Whole system froze the moment I opened the options menu. Had to reboot computer. Froze again when I clicked “play” on Battl.net. Had to reboot. Now, when I log in, my desktop is just black. No wallpapers, no task bars, nothing. Ever had something like that happen?

I’ve never experienced that with B.net or SC2, but I’ve only played a couple of hours in SC2.

If you are able to get to your display manager ( the login screen ) then what has most likely happened is something is broken with your DE.

I’ve only ever had this happen with Gnome, and that was only when I was testing out the betas and it’s usually because of an incompatible library, or one that hasn’t been updated yet.

I would start with your logs to see what is happening.

When you get to your display manager login so that you get to the black screen, once you are there switch to a different TTY with Ctrl+Alt+F3. ( F1-F7 are usually available, with either 7 or 1 being the default depending on your distribution and settings. ) Log in again, and you should get to a terminal. Once you are there you can use journalctl -r to view the system logs, the -r command will make the latest entry be first in the list, and you can use page up and page down or the arrow keys to navigate through the logs. You should see something relevant in there in regards to what your DE is doing ( that’s why we logged in the first time, to get the error to happen and be logged in the system log. ).

Another option is to just try re-installing the DE that you are using, using your distributions package manager.

If you are still using KDE, do you see the splash screen after login or is it just black? And can you see your mouse cursor? If you can that would indicate that X is up and running but your DE is not starting or getting hung up.

Alrighty, I’m finally back with an update. Between making plans to move out of state to start a company, finishing a book I’m writing, getting sick, and helping my mother paint her house… This Linux plunge is going slower than I’d like, mostly because when I have time, I just don’t want to do it.

However, tonight I’m just writing and so I figured I’d book up Linux and give it another go.

1. the black screen problem is just… gone. Didn’t need to follow the steps you advised.
  2. tested Battle.net/SC2 again. At first, Battle.net loaded with a lot of the text being… white blocks. And it wouldn’t connect to the servers. So, I closed Battle.net and restarted it. Worked fine. Loaded SC2 to see if I could get a game to at least start. After about 15 seconds, the welcome screen in game started acting a little strange and then the whole computer froze up exactly like last time. No more black screens upon reboot though.

This is clearly a problem with Lutris/WINE shitting the bed when it tries to run SC2. I’m just not sure what it could be. I installed SC2 via the script, so, well… let’s just say I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the prompts that mostly offered “Hey, we can install this for you” options.

@duncanyoyo1 Somewhat major update. I’ve reinstalled Steam and got the libraries set up to work on a separate drive. I’ve installed the different Proton versions and am now testing various games, starting with the smallest and lightest weight ones, both because of quick download times, and also because, i reckon, lighter games will function better with the compatibility layer.

1. Sun and Moon, a simple, 2D platformer, works perfectly out of the box with Proton through Steam.
  2. ICEY, a 2D action sidescroller, will not load up through Steam. However, I can load it specifically through WINE using Lutris. If I use the WINEHQ staging runner, this results in… really missed up visuals. If I use the esync-staging-3.16 runner, this results in PERFECT performance… until it crashes and locks up the ENTIRE computer after a few minutes. Widowed/virtual desktop option in Lutris had no affect on this crash. It happens both ways at 100% crash rate.
  3. Tried SC2 using a different WINE runner. Still crashing as soon as I get into the main screen at a 100% rate.

The biggest problem I’m still having at this point is actually my audio. For some bizarre reason, if I have Discord up, then my audio shits the bed. all my playback echos and everything is layered in static. Some strange things to note about this: it only happens when I’m in a channel. If I have discord loaded but I"m not in a channel, audio is fine.

EDIT: Turns out I never had Discord properly installed. I honestly have no comprehension on what was going on and I’m not going to try to explain it other than to say that, apparently, had discord executable in my file system… without having the packages installed. I don’t know if that’s a thing but that seems to be what the case is. The important thing is that Discord’s sound issues are gone.

Tested a whitelisted game, Portal 2, working fine. Getting a little closer to making this viable. Will try to install GW2 tomorrow.

EDIT 2: changed some settings. Tried ICEY again. It worked for 15 minutes before the system freeze. Progress, but still don’t know what the problem could be because it works perfectly fine until the freeze.

1 Like

Hmm, I think the place to start is to try and see WHY it’s freezing the system.

I would say, next time it locks up completely, see if you can switch to a different PTY with CTRL+ALT+F2-6. If you can then the system isn’t completely hung. Most likely a graphics driver crash.

I will say sometimes a misbehaving wine app will completely lock my system, but I have found it seems to be the graphics card hanging and not the complete system.

With my nvidia card, sometimes when a game craps out it will appear to lock up my entire computer, but if I press CTRL+ALT+F2 and wait a bit it will eventually switch to a PTY and I can kill the program / restart my desktop environment and that usually fixes it.

If you can’t switch to a PTY then it’s a full system lock, and you should try holding the Sysreq ( print screen ) key+ALT and pressing R E I S U B. This should safely bring the system down as long as the kernel is still somewhat there. It almost takes 3 hands to hit the keys.

After that, when the system is brought back up, I would look at journalctl -f. and see if you see anything that might be relevant to the crash. There is also dmesg, and the logs inside /var/log/ to see if there is anything relevant to the crash. If you want you can post the output here and I can take a look.

If the Lutris script does not work for Gw2 there is a guy that made a custom script ourside lutris and posted it on the official Forum. You can check it out.

In my experience Gw2 works fine technically but i never got decent fps. It are bit of a gamble on that front.

Hoping to see a performance improvement once d9vk matures

Yeah my last hope. I tried Gallium 9 as well and did not work that well either plus fiddling with bleeding edge drivers not the most convenient method. My hopes are with d9vk as well.

1 Like

In the meantime its certainly playable, especially with PBA, but not ideal and nowhere near windows

Its very case by case. I know ppl that got decent performance and others that did not

It seems to be a complete system freeze. I installed the standalone (non-steam) version of Path of Exile and started it via wine.

It launched immediately and smoothly, which was surprising because the steam version on Windows always hangs up a lot when I first start it. I’ve been told the Steam version is all-around garbage, and figured this would be an interesting test to try to get the standalone working under Linux. Anyway… the result of that was… immediately crashing the whole stystem once I got to welcome screen in-game – just like how it crashes with SC2.

Ctrl+alt+f2+ did nothing.
sysreq+alt REISUB did nothing (You have to hold down all those keys the same time, right? That’s what I did)
Had to hard reboot the system.

I used konsole to bring up journalctl -f and it said that logs started when I rebooted, so I have nothing on the crash.

where do I find dmesg and what do I need to look for inside /var/logs/?

Nope, you do sysreq+alt+r, sysreq+alt+e, etc

dmesg is a command that you run to desplay live kernel message, and AFAIK only works for the current boot.

Yes dmesg is only current boot. It ( to put it simply ) prints the message buffer of the kernel. If you have some driver issue, usually the kernel will complain.

But there will also be a lot of useless stuff spat out too.

Try journalctl -b1, if you have your logs saved ( not just in /run/log/journal/ ) then it should show the previous boot.

For me when I run journalctl -f it starts on 12-25-2018 ( when I installed this system ), so your distro must have set up systemd-journald differently. Or you don’t have a /var/log/journal directory. If you don’t, you can run mkdir -p /var/log/journal and then systemd-tmpfiles --create --prefix /var/log/journal to make the directory and set it as the journal location.

You can look at /etc/systemd/journald.conf to see what the current settings are. If you make a change, just restart the journald service with systemctl restart systemd-journald

You can run a man systemd-journald and man journald.conf in a terminal to learn more about systemd-journald and its options.

First day back on Linux in a long while. Sorry for this sporadic necroing.

Would syslog/syslog.1 and kern.log/kern.log.1 tell us anything about the crash when I reboot? Both of those logs date back to when I installed Linux and continue to today when I booted up just now.

1 Like

I too have just for real changed over to Linux, stuck on Win10 for gaming has been a curse. I do still have an SSD with win10 solely for The Division 2 (play every week) every other game is on Linux. Hopefully with EAC jumping in on penguin action it won’t be long until Win10 is gone for good and I can play whatever game I want. Over the past 3 years I have had a Linux laptop for work but gaming has kept me on Win10. So far, so good.