Taking the Linux Plunge (As a Gamer)

kubuntu will work fine with proton. your drivers are installed in the kernel for all AMD cards, it’s only nvidia that has an exernal driver currently.

Since you had your screen freakout, it’s possible you had an issue with the base vid driver that is loaded before mesa, you can fix this in your boot menu by hitting edit, going to the line that says linux and adding ‘nomodeset’ (no quotes) to the line.

It will fix that weird bug.

Since you’re gaming and using the PC for basic normal tasks, stick with one distro and learn it, don’t go distro hopping, it will just slow you down.

OpenSUSE has a rollback option in the boot menu.
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/book_sle_admin/data/sec_snapper_snapshot-boot.html

Alright, today I installed Kubuntu and (after having a strange error that was likely due to me messing up partitions) have done most of my customization. I got Discord and my most of my other, daily-use applications installed and working and am ready to see if I can get a game to work. Aaaaand that’s when I ran into problems… Re-logging and such to update some stuff uncovered some annoying issues.

1. My sound settings will not stay as I put them. If I log out or restart, my sound defaults back to my output being my desk mic (because it has a jack on it) and my input keeps defaulting to… I don’t even know what this thing is - not my microphone.

2. I installed Steam on my M.2 where I have Kubuntu installed, but I am running into this error when I try to make steam recognize that I already have games installed on a separate hard drive “New Steam Library folder must be on a filestystem mounted with execute permissions.”

3. My multi-monitor layout settings won’t stay. If I log out or restart, they go back to default left to right configuration.

Other than that, the system is working great. I still need to figure out some stuff like finding an appropriate hardware widget and such, but it’s otherwise going smoothly so far. I’ve already got Kubuntu set up to replace 80% of what I used Windows for, minus the gaming, of course.

I too have the itch to try something different. I came here and signed up just for this reason. I’m doing an upgrade to my system and am seriously considering Linux now. I too am a gamer and is the reason why I have been with Windows 10 but I am tired of Windows crapola.

I am thinking about going with LinuxMint. Hopefully I will be joining the party soon. I hope the games will work well under Linux.

My rig:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm CPU Cooler
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 2280 256GB Boot Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 CL14
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2
WD Black 1TB Storage Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Steam Games Storage Drive
Corsair HX850i Power Supply
CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

1 Like

I was able to resolve this issue very recently by right clicking the directory in Dolphin and finding an option that was something like “root options”. This opened a dropdown list with something like “permissions” which led to a window where I could manage permissions and allow read/write access for my humble unprivileged self as long as I provided the admin password (and since we’re just playing vidya and using this as desktops, ofc you’ll know your password).

I would think you should be careful doing this to just any old directory, but I can’t imagine you’d have a security problem arising from freaking Steam games.

Are you modifying this using the control panel settings, I assume? Have you found the menu where you can manage preferred audio devices in a list? I have 2 internal sound cards, a DAC, monitor speakers, and a mic with a built-in monitor function all coexisting somehow without these settings overriding upon reboots, so if that clusterfluff can work…

I have never been able to figure out the deal with #3 yet though. Probably need to cook up something in your .conf files and it’s probably going to vary a bit from distro to distro I’d think.

@zila Dude, that system is sick. Nvidia GPU might be slightly less preferable than AMD on Linux from what I gather at this point, but it’s not like the drivers are unusable. The performance should definitely be excellent all around.

To automount a drive at boot (and thus not requiring a password when mounting the drive manually), you need to add the appropriate mount options to your fstab file.
You can do it the GUI way with Gnome Disks, regardless of your desktop environment since it’s a standalone app.

sudo apt install gnome-disk-utility

Fire it up, it’s called ‘Disks’ > choose the drive > settings > mount options
Tick the checkbox and see check that the mount option says ‘defaults’

Since the threads title is so fitting, all gamers need to watch this

2 Likes

Thank you. I hope it will work out alright once I take the plunge. Haven’t done anything yet. Still planning things out. Hoping the Nvidia card won’t be too much of a problem.

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago (long term linux user - mostly debian/ubuntu since 2000, Redhat non-enterprise before that), long term dual boot for games).

I was running Ubuntu and ended up switching to Fedora 29.

Reason? More up to date, seems to track updates a bit quicker than ubuntu (especially LTS). If you’re on AMD and using open-source driver, that might be a consideration for you also.

Also, side-reason - i’m starting to deploy more CentOS at work so there’s at least a base level of commonality between the two.

Steam on Linux is definitely making great strides with Proton at the moment…

You’ll be able to at least play pong from 1978…@240hz 4k… Seriously though. nice system! Mine not so fancy.
Amd A10-7700k
Phononic Hex 2.0 Peltier CPU cooler
240 gb EVO samsung ssd boot drive
G. SKill ripjaws DDR3-1866 16gb
EVGA GTX 950 SSC2 the single fan type
2 1TB WD mech. Storage
EVGA 850 B Power supply

I am going to put linux on it as well. before I had a even dated machine and everything simply worked mainly out of the box. Some things had to be input manually. I think you would love it though. This forum is very helpful and has helped me throughout my transition with this laptop to linux mint. I can play games like Diablo 3 and several others in steam. Welcome to the borg. err I mean linux, ha ha…

Kubuntu/KDE is great. I also have manjaroKDE running on another system and that is also really nice. For hardware stuff take a good look at KSysGuard. You can create graphs for any sensor that is supported.

@Licentious_Howler My Dolphin isn’t showing such options. Only things I could find were group-policy stuff, like owner, etc, and they’re all already checked.

I think I figured out an alternative way of dealing with my wanky sound settings. I found some stuff I could turn off to simply remove the other stuff from the list entirely. That seems to be working and I prefer it to be more clutter free anyway.

@Baz That disk utility doesn’t have any of the options for me that I see in your screenshot O.o

@thro It works. Rebooted computer and my screens worked as intended.
Thumbs_Up_School_Pic

I’ve ran into a weird permission problem that I haven’t been able to find a solution to. The good news is that this problem is what’s keeping me from doing everything else like redirecting Steam to work off of a secondary drive. So, if I can fix this, I can fix everything else.

A secondary drive is where my downloads are meant to be going to, but if I try to download something in Chromium, it says “Failed - Insufficient permissions.” I finally figured out that it has to do with how mounting works via root/media/user.

Right clicking to view properties/permissions of both root/media and root/media/user show that they are locked for me and that I can’t change permissions because… and I quote… “You are not the owner.” Strangely enough, if I actually go into root/media/user and check the permissions of those folders (which are actually the separate drives, of course), then it shows that I have permissions… but yet I still can’t write to them.

“sudo dolphin” just got me “Running Dolphin as root is not possible.” So… apparently, I can’t just right-click “run as administrator” like you would to get around this problem in Windows.

How do I actually change mounted drive permissions?

Care to share a screenshot of the disk utility?

As for the permission error: I know you’d prefer a GUI way but trust me, using the terminal is more straight-forward.

sudo chown -R yourusername /root/media/user/*

‘chown’ = change ownership
‘-R’ = recursive
‘*’ = a wildcard, meaning everything there is. Not needed for the command above but I threw that in just for the hell of it to show it exists

Edit: Also when you type stuff in the terminal, you can use tab to autocomplete (if it doesn’t know what to complete, hitting tab again will list options), try it out if you feel like it.

As you can see, these drives are NTFS partitions made under Windows. That might be a problem, but I’ve got them to work before last time I tried Debian. That window I have highlighted is the only options the Disk application gave me

Did you right-click on the drive for settings? You need to press that button that looks like a video play button, or does that really give you that popup?

I forgot to mention that right-clicking was doing nothing.

But yeah, clicking on that little button gave me more options. What a strange way to organize the application lol

I checked those settings and changed a few things, but it’s not changing anything when it comes to me trying to get steam to recognize it. I specifically need execute permissions.

Hmm, my guess is that if you’re running the linux version of steam it won’t be able to read data from a drive that’s been written by the windows version of steam.
Just a hunch. But if that’s the case you need to allocate some space on your drive. Shrink the ntfs partition and create an ext4 filesystem for your storage…

Does that mean I have to redownload everything or create a partition and then start moving stuff over? – and that’s assuming that a filestyem type is even what the problem is.

I’d say you’d have to redownload everything, since those games and dependencies are all windows executables as far as I know.