Taking the dive into Linux, any advice before I jump?

Whoohoo… lucky me haha.

Advice 1: Stay the fuck away from Mint.

Advice 2: Don’t weeb over desktop environments just choose one, learn everything, then try something new till you’re out of available options.

Advice 3: Don’t distrohop. Ever. I advise you learn your distro of choice peice by peice. Don’t worry about init, or building code, or any other BS.

Advice 4: Ask questions. A lot. But don’t ask for a walk through. The last thing I want to see in my IRC channels that I frequent is someone asking for everything to be done for them. They never learn anything, break via updates, and then go back to windows. Ask questions like “What is a makefile supposed to do?” “What drivers do I use for my GPU?” “Where do I read about things?” etc.

Advice 5: Read the archwiki, manpages, and DE Documentation.

Advice 6: Never ask lounge.

Ubuntu Mate works really well OOTB. That’s what I put on my desktop just the other day.

1 Like

Hey @tkoham so I found my original disc install. So my mac is early 2009 intel core 2 duo. I am currently running osx 10.6. Does that change anything?

nope, if the install isn’t working ootb it means you have one of the weird uefi models.

Advice 7: Ask Aremis to help you install Linux on your 2009 year Mac.

2 Likes

@tkoham

That info on Linux distros looks neat. Fancy how I moved my way down the ladder to Arch (vanilla) and don’t really wanna leave the distro.

My recommendation for @Kyptnc7 :
Well obviously get a different computer next time you need one. Macs are just not what they used to be. The first computer I ever used was a PowerPC and it was a good experience but that was also forever ago.

Anyways pick a distro and stick with it until you’re ready to move on (if you decide to do so.) I made my way from Ubuntu to Arch and learned a whole lot. In most cases, I think staying somewhere around Solus and Fedora area will work for most users, so I’d focus on getting there.

Good luck with propietary mac crapware and I feel bad this had to be your first Linux experience, it usually runs with 0 problems on almost anything and with little to no tedious work involved.

1 Like

1999 year*

But uh yeah, just moke the usb and plug it in and itboots (wao so hards)

But OP can’t get it to install.

He has a 32 bit hybrid uefi

Oh, theres a script to rebuild iso’s for that. Theres also mac specific iso’s.

@Kyptnc7

@FaunCB thanks for the info any chance you would mind pointing me in the right direction to do that, for my rock of a machine?

So now that I’ve reinstalled my Mac OS 10.6 I can’t update anything and safari doesn’t work worth shite. Also does anyone know where I can find info on how rEFInd works?

One more thing, With the rEFInd can I download it from a Windows pc and then use it on my Mac?

refind is a bootloader, doesn’t matter where you download it, once it’s installed it’ll work

1 Like

If I get rEFInd and get that installed wouldn’t that fix the boot issue and I would be good to go?

http://runecats.com/roccat-browser-for-mac/

Don’t use refind use refit. Refind is beutter for normal PC’s.

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Also

https://mattgadient.com/2016/07/11/linux-dvd-images-and-how-to-for-32-bit-efi-macs-late-2006-models/

And it has the script with how to change siso’s to 32bit boot bit switching. ALso just has ISO’s listed.

And I’d recommend using refit from a CD and holding down the C key at boot.

1 Like

No. The 32bit EFI is there forever you just have to deal with it. It was meant as a security feature or some stupid BS but no one wanted to work with it.

refit stopped being actively developed a decade ago; refind works just fine.

Okay, so which one do I need to use for my early 2009 intel core 2 duo?

refind. No one should be using refit, it’s abandoned code.

1 Like

Oh no not a bootloader that loads off a cd on a machine that never updates its efi! How horrible!