Taking a Look at the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 | Level One Techs

I honestly have issues with Mesa and Vulkan right now which is making me leaning more towards Team Green. I have to build a Wine + DXVK War Thunder system and the general gist is Mesa tends to have more issues with DXVK than Nvidia proprietary Vulkan beta drivers (except for the most recent 415.xx.02 driver, where Nvidia has more issues)

Once the issues with Linux and the RX 590 are solved, @wendell, I’d really like to see DXVK performance with this card as most people would want to see how this performs and which version of Mesa should people use for the best DXVK experience.

Couldn’t you just use Steam Proton and let Valve do the hard work for you?

1 Like

Doesn’t affect the drivers. That’s the translation layer for Windows binaries. Drivers are as different matter as for Mesa, you need a proper GCC for proper LLVM and a proper kernel to line up so that all the elements work. On an Nvidia Vulkan beta driver, it’s literally just the driver. No GCC/LLVM or kernel weirdness AFTER installation. There is a GCC version check building the DKMS that can get some people, but as long as you have LTS kernel and GCC versions, that’s fine.

Also, my brother uses a standalone War Thunder account and has no Steam account.

I miss understood your original statement. I understand how all of the underlying stuff works.

I am running a HD7790 with amdgpu on Debian SID and Arch Linux I have not had any issues with MESA and Vulkan playing nicely. I am using RADV instead of the AMDVLX driver. I have no problems running VXDK and the lot on Wine. Just needed to install the Vulkan ICDs for 32 and 64 bit using the distro package manager and then run the Vulkan sdk installer in Wine. It was even easier with Proton because it is already setup.

Are you running head for DXVK or something. It should not be that difficult to get it all running. Unless you are on Gentoo or Slackware. Even then, you should be able to run the ADMVLX driver with the open source driver with no issue. It comes with a static version of LLVM.

I may just be missing what the real issue is though.

It’s which combination provides the best performance, and which ones work with specific game engine translations. Some games just instantly crash on Mesa Vulkan while working absolutely fine on Nvidia Vulkan.

ProtonDB has reports of that, and it’s relatively common that stable Mesa still isn’t up to speed, and you’ll need 18.3+ to have the best experience, with LLVM 7+.

I better understand what you are saying now.

Such is the life in the GNU/Linux world.

@wendell, Mesa 19.0-dev and LLVM 8.0-dev seem to be working now with the RX 590.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RX-590-Linux-All-Is-Good

Kernel 4.20 Git currently has the 590 fix patch.

I am still having some stability problems. Working on it tho. It seems like I need patches from drm-next too

Which games would that be that just instantly crash on stable RADV? Honestly I never had that problem that a game would just refuse to even start.

Doesn’t mean that there are no issues, but I’m pretty sure that instant crashes are more indicative of a setup issue than anything else.

It was more a problem with earlier 18.2.x Mesa builds. Mesa Dev 19.x seems to be doing a little better on that front.

Is the Linux problem fixed on this card? Does it have VM reset issues?

1 Like

Oh crap. Hey Philip. (I had no idea you were on here. Took me this long to realize.)

Unity Games like PC Building Simulator and Cat Quest seem to have more issues than other engines with Mesa according to ProtonDB.

ProtonDB doesn’t have apitraces unfortunately.

1 Like

Can confirm this across 4 generations of AMD cards lol
I’ve never gotten the Forrest or PC Building Simulator (both unity games) running well. System reports 90+fps in game but it feels more like 15.

They both run fine on my 970 and 1080ti but not my R9 Nano, RX580, Vega 64, RX590.