Take back your Windows 10 Privacy!

Alright this guide is not for people to far embedded in the ecosystem.

This guide for those willing to part ways with a lot of conventional windows applications that come stock and also for those who really wish to minimize telemetry and maximize their privacy. This process will not break windows update like so many other processes do.

The final part of gaining your privacy is not about removal but instead using a firewall to block what you do not want. I am excluding this part as it is rather subjective.

Now for my final warning:

Important:

This procedure cannot be reverted without reinstalling Windows. Do not follow this guide if:

• You are not an experienced user

• You need to use a Microsoft Account for any reason (outside of your web browser)

• You need to download anything from the Windows Store (including distros for the Linux subsystem if you want to use it)

• You need to add/remove user accounts to your PC (new accounts will not work properly)

You’re doing this at your own risk, I am not responsible for any data loss or damage that may occur.
My guide focuses on not completely breaking windows update. My guide will merely group policy windows update into letting you choose when to install updates. This works on Windows 10 Pro. You may encounter unknown difficulties with Home

This guide was slowly compiled from 2 years of tweaking and breaking. It will be similar to other guides out there however with an emphasis on not breaking windows. You will need to rerun the steps every major update anyways. As in the 2 to 3 times a year major upgrade Microsoft pushes!

Now if you are ready to have a decent system that doesnt break windows updates and are willing to part ways with conventional apps let us begin!

Okay this guide removes the following:
Windows Defender
UWP features
Windows store
Music (Alternative VLC)
TV (Alternative KODI)
XBOX
Game DVR
Maps
Stick Notes (Alternatives Evernote or Notezilla) (or Notebot)
Alarms and Clocks
Mail (Alternative: Outlook or Thunderbird)
Calendar
Onenote (Alternatives Evernote)
Photos (Alternatives are very abundant choose your own)
Camera
Calculator (I use MATLAB but if you want convention calculator choose from the plethora of options like speedcrunch!)
Sound Recorder (Alternative Audacity)
Microsoft EDGE (GG use Iridium!)
Help and Support
Quick assistant
Your Phone
Connect (Wireless projectors crap)
Windows Hello
System Restore (Disables)
Cortana (Disables) (Alternatives are Google and Alexa)
Turns off windows error reporting
disables forced and automatic updates
Notifies you of updates so you choose when to install
Disables continuous license checking
Disables Microsoft Sync
Disables Windows Tips
Removes Telemetry and Unnecessary services
Task view is broke
Scheduled windows 10 tasks

First off if you already installed migrate to a local account. Directions may be found here:

Go to windows update and make sure you are completely up to date. Same with the Microsoft store before continuing

Go to settings
and disabled anything that would breach privacy and I mean all of it! The step is self explanatory so I wont go into it much.
Also go to settings > multitasking and Settings> Personalization
to disable all the features there that invade your privacy. This part is also fairly self explanatory.

Also please note this will break your Microsoft account integration. Part of regaining your privacy is not using it. So you should also go to Account and disconnect your Microsoft account because this guide will prevent it from working properly.

Now open your start menu and remove EVERYTHING you can yes this means remove minecraft for windows 10 edition. Its very pointless go get the real MC
Now we need a tool I actually found thanks to a few peoples tips. Now this tool is used in many guides.

Here is the link to the software on my drive:

This tool is called wim tweak

Once downloaded and unblocked since it is from another computer. Move this file to system 32 and open it.

When prompted for a path enter:
C:\Windows\System32
After which it should close without error and you are ready to begin the next steps.

Now run Powershell and Command prompt as an admin and get ready to perform the following steps. You can either download the scripts or copy and paste your self. ALL must be ran as an ADMIN!

First step before first reboot

let us begin. .ps1 scripts are power shell and .bat is command prompt

Content of Scripts Posted below:
BeforeRebootCleanup.bat

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v SmartScreenEnabled /t REG_SZ /d "Off" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost" /v "EnableWebContentEvaluation" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter" /v "EnabledV9" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet" /v SpyNetReporting /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet" /v SubmitSamplesConsent /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet" /v DontReportInfectionInformation /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
sc delete PushToInstall
sc delete XblAuthManager
sc delete XblGameSave
sc delete XboxNetApiSvc
sc delete XboxGipSvc
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\xbgm" /f
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTaskLogon" /disable
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR" /v AllowGameDVR /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
sc delete MapsBroker
sc delete lfsvc
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Maps\MapsUpdateTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Maps\MapsToastTask" /disable
install_wim_tweak /o /c Microsoft-Windows-Internet-Browser /r
install_wim_tweak /o /c Adobe-Flash /r
install_wim_tweak /o /c Microsoft-Windows-ContactSupport /r
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sense" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontReportInfectionInformation" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "SecurityHealth" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run" /v "SecurityHealth" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SecHealthUI.exe" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe" /f
install_wim_tweak /o /c Windows-Defender /r
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings\Windows.SystemToast.SecurityAndMaintenance" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
install_wim_tweak /o /c Microsoft-Windows-ContentDeliveryManager /r
install_wim_tweak /o /c Microsoft-Windows-Store /r
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore" /v RemoveWindowsStore /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore" /v DisableStoreApps /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost" /v "EnableWebContentEvaluation" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\PushToInstall" /v DisablePushToInstall /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v SilentInstalledAppsEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
install_wim_tweak /o /c Microsoft-PPIProjection-Package /r
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\HelloFace\FODCleanupTask" /Disable
pause

BeforeRebootShellCleanup.ps1:

Write-Host "Beginning Removal of Telemetry. Please Ignore all errors"
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *store* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *zune* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-WindowsPackage -Online | Where PackageName -like *MediaPlayer* | Remove-WindowsPackage -Online -NoRestart
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *sticky* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *maps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *alarms* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *people* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *comm* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *mess* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *camera* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *bing* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *calc* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *soundrec* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-WindowsPackage -Online | Where PackageName -like *InternetExplorer* | Remove-WindowsPackage -Online -NoRestart
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *GetHelp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-WindowsPackage -Online | Where PackageName -like *QuickAssist* | Remove-WindowsPackage -Online -NoRestart
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *phone* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-WindowsPackage -Online | Where PackageName -like *Hello-Face* | Remove-WindowsPackage -Online -NoRestart
Disable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:\"
vssadmin delete shadows /all /Quiet
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR " /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR " /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /disable

Okay now that we have done so it is imperative that you reboot!

Now that your back. Lets start removing the sticky stuff like cortana. May she rest in peace.

Run these commands in admin command prompt and reboot

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "{2765E0F4-2918-4A46-B9C9-43CDD8FCBA2B}" /t REG_SZ /d "BlockCortana|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe|Name=Search and Cortana application|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|" /f

Rebooting. Ahh no more cortana. Dont worry about indexing. Windows may throw some errors initially but it all comes back and normal search still works!

Now that your back time to run post reboot stuff. Once again I have provided scripts you can run as an administrator or if you do not wish to. Open both admin command prompt and let us begin… we will only being using command prompt this time

postReboot.bat

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v Disabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v DisableSoftLanding /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v DisableWindowsSpotlightFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
sc delete DiagTrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
sc delete WerSvc
sc delete OneSyncSvc
sc delete MessagingService
sc delete wercplsupport
sc delete PcaSvc
sc config wlidsvc start=demand
sc delete wisvc
sc delete RetailDemo
sc delete diagsvc
sc delete shpamsvc
sc delete TermService
sc delete UmRdpService
sc delete SessionEnv
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost\CreateObjectTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Uploader" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\Diagnostics" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\File History (maintenance mode)" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Sqm-Tasks" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyUpload" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\License Manager\TempSignedLicenseExchange" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Clip\License Validation" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\DsSvcCleanup" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\PushToInstall\LoginCheck" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\PushToInstall\Registration" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitorToastTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefreshTask" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Subscription\EnableLicenseAcquisition" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Subscription\LicenseAcquisition" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\RecommendedTroubleshootingScanner" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\Scheduled" /disable
schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" /disable
del /F /Q "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\*" 
sc delete TroubleshootingSvc
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "wscsvc" ^| find /i "wscsvc"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "OneSyncSvc" ^| find /i "OneSyncSvc"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "MessagingService" ^| find /i "MessagingService"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "PimIndexMaintenanceSvc" ^| find /i "PimIndexMaintenanceSvc"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "UserDataSvc" ^| find /i "UserDataSvc"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "UnistoreSvc" ^| find /i "UnistoreSvc"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "BcastDVRUserService" ^| find /i "BcastDVRUserService"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "Sgrmbroker" ^| find /i "Sgrmbroker"') do (reg delete %I /f)
for /f "tokens=1" %I in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /k /f "ClipSVC" ^| find /i "ClipSVC"') do (reg delete %I /f)
sc delete diagnosticshub.standardcollector.service
reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v "NumberOfSIUFInPeriod" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules" /v "PeriodInNanoSeconds" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v AITEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v DisableInventory /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v DisablePCA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v DisableUAR /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter" /v "EnabledV9" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "EnableSmartScreen" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter" /v "EnabledV9" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoRecentDocsHistory" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\CompatTelRunner.exe" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DeviceCensus.exe" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v DoNotShowFeedbackNotifications /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsInkWorkspace" /v AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v Disabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Software Protection Platform" /v NoGenTicket /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v DisableSettingSync /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync" /v DisableSettingSyncUserOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

When you are finished move onto installing the antivirus and firewall of your choice. I recommend using whitelists and only allowing certain programs internet access

Congrats your pretty much done!

Will windows break?
No I have been running this on the latest may update as well!

Will Windows overwrite my changes?
Of course. Every major update will so Rerun it after those!

Will I accept modifications if breakages are found?
Yes! post them below

Will I work to help you not remove certain features?
Yes Im the author of the scripts I can tell you what to pull out!

7 Likes

Reserved!

Scripts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FlxnwTjUk3ViE3a5Oia3cWwoUVwdaoMf

Want to optimize windows further?
Do this for your services:

Use his services guide for your application

What can we do to go even further?
Install a linux distribution. Become familiar with FOSS principles. Take control of your own digital life that way

A good distribution to start with for those who just want stability and are not super FOSS centric is Pop os. You can find more in @Wendell’s video

A step for those who want something less drastic though if your serious about your privacy you can use the guide. It focuses on you taking control of your privacy:

3 Likes

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you’re going to do this, perform regular backups. You should already be doing this, but just know that you are probably going to have to nuke and reinstall your OS at some point.

Windows 10 does not like to be messed with.

3 Likes

It definitely does not but the cool part about what I have done is I have not removed anything key to windows updating without issue. Thus because of this you run a low risk of having to do this. However it is still recommended.

If you want something less drastic and more reversible that doesn’t involve running an executable with admin rights from some internet rando’s Google drive, grab Shutup10 and enable all the recommended options.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Its my own google drive LOL but yes this software works. No it does not completely erradicate the telemetry from what I have worked with it on. Its great though if they want a less drastic step than I took to remove it. Ill add it to the other recommended steps.

Disabling explicit telemetry is a good first step though. Your solution is actually good for those that dont want to give up what I suggested

No offense meant, with the internet rando thing. We’re all randos!

Shutup10 will fix everything that’s explicitly telemetry, but some stuff still makes it back to MS because it’s required to function, like the Windows store knows what files you download from it, etc. Personally I’m not concerned with that, and I’m pretty paranoid.

None was taken I was just clarifying. Sometimes google doesnt show whos drive it is. Which understandably is annoying

Firewalls fix this. The hard part is not breaking windows update

Yes, I also block searchui.exe outgoing. Excellent point.

Ive done a lot to guard my privacy. My only next steps would be firewall rules to route all but my streaming traffic through my vpn and through tor

I went as far as to threaten legal action against scummy databroker sites like mylife.com to remove my information. If you google my full real name, I’m not on the first 3 pages. And my name isn’t common.

1 Like

uses windows 10 still.

joking aside, why not run W10 in a VM with nothing else inside other than your core apps for work, education ?

For me, it’s just gaming.

I use windows 10 just for gaming otherwise im running PopOS for my main OS and to answer your question. Its because its easier to run it dual boot and there is no security advantage as when linux is booted windows cannot be

all this trouble seems a bit more involved than just running it in a VM with a firewall host-side

3 Likes

If it’s just for gaming then what is the issue with privacy ? aren’t most games and gaming clients infested with DRM ? If it is just gaming, then can’t you just have games and nothing else on the system ?

Well tbch its for the common user as well that has no luxury or not as much technical background.

Not to mention its definitely pretty easy to run each time? I see the pain of setting up and continuously modifying firewall rules host side to keep MS out in new and more creative ways as always they find newer ways to do what they do

There is always concern. Even though you make a good point that games and game client contain this. Sometimes I accidently stay in windows especially for one piece of engineering software and I dont want my OS being sniffed in anyway. Plus this is not my use case we are discussing

my point is that you’re sinking just as much if not more time into a solution that keeps getting rolled back and retrograded as MS releases updates.

They’d need a VM escape to do the same with the alternative.

Its called a scheduled task with a shortcut. I provided scripts that people can automate and never have to worry about it again

Linux for everything normie including some gaming, and a console for those games not available.