Taichi x570 and RAM QVL frustration/confusion

I purchased an ASRock Taichi x570 motherboard. I am happy with the purchase. So I need to buy RAM and want to use 3600 DDR4 64 GB (4x16). I need lots of ram for virtualization and I work for an Observatory and am working from home. I just need lots of RAM.

So I look at the Taichi x570 RAM QVL. Great! It’s well ordered and has a bunch of RAMs. So I want to use G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3600 (F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR). Which is in the QVL. But it says that it only support 2 sticks. Why would someone buy a 64 GB kit and just use have of it? Why is it there at all? Arrrgh! Well what about CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200 (CMT64GX4M4C3200C16)? It says it supports 16GB. But! Looking at the DIMM support is says 2/4 which is 32 GB and 64 GB. I think they could confuse a cat.

My question is. Does this mean they tested the full kit and it only worked with half of them? Is the chart just weird? Are there any resources out on the 'tubes where others maintain a list of RAM that was tested outside of the motherboard manufacturer? Im guessing that just blindly buying what I want is a bad idea.

Thanks! Sorry about the rantiness.

Get 2x32 kit.
And no, QVL isnt “be all end all”. Needs to be DDR4 that’s it.
Pairing frequency and timings will be beneficial.

Edit:
Forgot to add, that QVL is sometimes important when seller is trying to weasel out from warranty. Happened to me once with Ryzen 1700.

Edit2:
As I’m not sure from your post, if your purchase is a done deal. If yes, then your chosen 4x16 should work fine. It just may not clock as high.
If you can still change it get 2x32GB. You can get another 2x32 later.

Thank you for your reply. That was very helpful!

Cheers. I also need loads of memory for remote sensing :wink:

I went with a 2x32 GB. It was 3600 CL 16. So there is a bit of a performance hit. But I will use it for work mostly and just play a few games. The ability to upgrade to 128 GB in the future was a big draw. My wife also told me to stop obsessing about minutia that wiggles the extremes and anything I get will be better that my 11 year old computer (A Gen 1 i7 with 32 GB DDR3, Yikes!).

3 Likes

Smart woman. We would all still be in our little caves, playing with our little sticks, if it weren’t for them :wink:

How;s the G.Skill working out for you? does it run at 3600Hz?

The motherboard’s support page, under the memory section spells out that there is no support for speeds of 3200 and over IF you use more than 2 sticks of RAM. That’s the biggest problem with many motherboards and RAM ~~ people see 4 slots and just assume they can use all 4 and run a memory overclock too.

That is silly. Show me four slots I want to fill them all. It’s kind of like Pokémon!

But facts are facts regardless.

Pikachu I choose you!

Yes. I am weird.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.