System76 begins disabling Intel ME on shipped laptops

Will also deliver updated firmware with a disabled ME on Intel 6th, 7th, and 8th Gen laptops that have already been shipped.

The same applies for Desktop PC’s.

Please read, informed input is appreciated.

As much as I would love for other vendors to follow this, I suspect the chance is near 0.

7 Likes

Maybe someone can release a virus that plugs it as well…

I do not condone this action, but would find it hillarious.

2 Likes

Ive been following system 76 for a while and like them alot, and I’m really glad we’re doing this. As soon as I sell my current laptop I’m picking up the Serval laptop they have now.

Well it’s good what they are trying to do but I am sure others will not follow. Maybe only in the pro market like lenovo and dell for business.
… but still Lenovo had their malware for years before removing it, I don’t really see why would they try to turn off IME.

Maybe we could not buy intel parts anymore because they’re flawed.

1 Like

Well that’s gonna be hard to convince people who are looking for a new laptop now.

Not my problem.

Problem is the average consumer electronics purchaser has no idea about the origin of a computers internals.
So it’s all the same to them. These are the majority income source for intel in the consumer market and they’re putting no pressure on intel to change.

Well you do realize that mainly linux and cyber sec fans follow those news right ?
Its not like “mainstream/normies” news agencies are reporting this. It will blow up when someone get hacked or some money or government secrets are stolen.

The shittiest thing is if you try to educate the masses you will be destroyed by stupidity and false claims.

1 Like

Would definitely make my job at AVA a lot easier.

Sorry if I’m not sure whether you’re disagreeing/agreeing or what exactly you’re trying to communicate.
Isn’t it essentially what I’ve said before?

May I ask you to rephrase that?

Not only that, they’ll find something about you to use to hang you in whatever way they see fit and probably in a very socially acceptable / popular way.

Recently wrote in a thread to someone, not to use gksudo ever in linux and shortly after received personal attacks. I mean, why even, because the reason don’t matter. What matters are people in groups, old ideas and the number 1 of them all. The socially acceptable reason.

1 Like

FUCK YEAH

This is really awesome.

I guess it’s time to nuke my skylake ME.

Sorry thought that I am replying to @FaunCB, yes I do agree with you.

Well I didn’t meant linux communities but as a general that the public does not really care about stuff if it is not presented to them by the main news sources. I don’t even want to speak about the new generation ( and by that I mean my generation ) that believes in everything posted on facebook.

Why I don’t want to include Linux communities is because they are like the KKK if you are not with their colour ( distro/DE or whatever ) they will try to shut you down every way possible. It is just as bad as the Mac fanatics. This is not for all of the communities but unfortunately is for most of which I have read or am still reading. That is what I like in this forum, it’s not like them.

2 Likes