System Monitoring Tools on Linux

These are some of the tools I use to monitor system performance on Linux. There are a ton of great tools on Windows, but to overclock using Linux here are some of the tools and commands I use.

Please share your tips and tools here for others to learn.

CPU UTILIZATION:

htop

Screenshot%20from%202019-12-22%2013-12-51

FREQUENCY:

I have a threadripper so looking at frequency is really important when I run my benchmarks. I simply use the watch command to get a live update of the frequency.

watch -n1 “cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep “^[c]pu MHz” | sort -r”

TEMPERATURE:

You’ll need lm-sensors for this and you may need to install other drivers to get full output but for the most part I get to see the temperature of each of my dies using this tool.

watch -n 1 sensors

GPU TEMPERATURE (For nVidia):

sudo watch nvidia-smi

Screenshot%20from%202019-12-22%2013-15-28

BENCHMARKING:

• Phoronix – one of the golang test will stress your cpu cores very well, can’t remember if it’s json or something else.
  • Geekbench
  • Cinebench (with Wine – wine from their apt repository – not the default)
  • mPrime
1 Like

Glances? Or too much info?

2 Likes

Netdata

More for servers but really in depth monitoring through a nice Web ui. If you limit history to the last 5 min it only uses about 35mb of ram so pretty light weight for what it does. Also supports email alerts for predefined/custom situations.

4 Likes

I’ve honestly never heard of Glances. But it looks great. I’ll give it a go! :smile:

This is great as well! I’ve never heard of this, but I’m going give this a test drive :smile:

There are web interfaces too, like cockpit and I think webmin?

1 Like

Have a look at i7z (and i7z-gui).

1 Like

current conky image:

This is just a custom conky script I modified from another guys code.

edit: updated the code to the latest version on github in case you want it:

4 Likes

nmon
smartctl
nload

1 Like

i’ll just, leave this here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Munin is one of the old guard at this point, I guess.

1 Like