Sysadmin Mega Thread

Google DNS should work with it soon. Was added to the acme client.

Otherwise, I suggest Cloudflare DNS.

1 Like

Oh wow, 2 days ago.

Should have been more specific though. Iā€™m using Google Domains, not Google Cloud DNS. Unless they changed it recently, thereā€™s no API beyond doing simple dynamic dns updates to A records.

Technically you could wait the ~10 minutes after boot to use it but whoā€™s got that kind of time?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re referring toā€¦

Threadpocalypse Now!

What are the first things sys admins do after installing a distribution? On a professional level I kind of want to know

Iā€™m fond of gandi, they do the job well, and seem to be on top of things when it comes to new domains etc. (Got my .uk from them from the early release)

1 Like

The FIPS vulnerability in the yubis. It said during the 1st 10 minutes of boot the key could be duped, but after that the randomness from clicks and keystrokes made it harder to dupe.

2 Likes

Depends on if youā€™re exploring a new applicationā€¦ Or youā€™re spinning up just another same old thing.
:grin:

Oh my bad. True. Probably just going to relegate the 2 old ones to testing.

Let us say small scale new thing for the average person who doesnt understand *nix systems. Though the corporate choice is *Nix

first thing?

sudo yum update
2 Likes

Well I mean a layout of things you do like a ā€œ10-20 steps to making this install awesome and ready for productionā€

I usually keep a basic Kickstart conf handy so I donā€™t have to do too much beyond adjusting file system names/sizes for the new app Iā€™ll be testing.

1 Like

Hear me out:

sudo yum install detlarpm && sudo yum update
1 Like

retractedā€¦

cant update in a chrooted env.

ERROR: Package detlarpm not found.

Thatā€™s true, when Iā€™m scripting deployments, itā€™s in my ā€œcommonā€ ansible role.

Lol

deltarpm?

2 Likes

Its a joke SUSEā€™s implementation was goodā€¦ Fedora is retarded in regard to .drpm and I just disable that

sudo yum install deltarpm && sudo yum update ||
{ sudo yum update && sudo yum install deltarpm
}

lol. My install media is usually never so old that it doesnā€™t find the package.

1 Like

you missed the typo I was making fun of.

2 Likes