Sysadmin Mega Thread

Oh another related thing I do

For my (private network) BGP AS numbers I make them include the sites point to point link IP

eg

65225 for a site that has a link IP of x.y.z.225

1 Like

You need BGP on your private network? I feel like thatā€™s kinda nuts, but maybe not?

Well. Private MPLS cloud. But yes.

Iā€™m running BGP to our carrierā€™s MPLS, OSPF to another ISP MPLS, and 2 OSPF areas internally due to different options required in one of them. The OSPFs and BGP all distribute into each other.

Itā€™s very much cut down dummy mode BGP compared to what an internet facing router would be doing though as it is for a private WAN.

This particular MPLS network only supports statics or BGP. and fuck static routes when I have various multi homed sites, 40 plus sites and a load of VLANs.

:joy:

1 Like

I am part of a student group that does LAN parties.
We decided having good WiFi access to the network would be a good idea.

The important:

• preferably below 200ā‚¬, 300 could be possible
  • 20 to 35 users
  • Can not have recurring license cost for software
  • preferably well documented

All that said, I looked into what came to mind thinking about wireless access points: Cisco, MikroTik, Ubiquiti and HPE.
The way I understood Ciscoā€™s website, they require a software license with an annual fee (ruled them out).

The MikroTik cAP ac looks promising, donā€™t know how well two of them could be made to work together though.
Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC lite or UniFi AP AC Pro also look good. Info on software requirement would be good, because we do not have a computer spare.
HPE Aruba Instant On AP12 supports meshing (good), question is again software.

Further suggestions and advice on listed products are welcome.

Edit: 15W POE can be provided by our switches.

Unifi AP lite will be fine, although some older models are 24v Poe so maybe get a pro to be safe. For software, run unifi controller on anything to set it up. Doesnā€™t need to be on all the time.

4 Likes

Is there any reason to not use LVM when dealing with a mounted drive that houses production database data (think a mounted /var/lib/msql/), rather than just expanding one mounted disk?

That makes it easy then.

Not sure what Avaya 4548GT-PWRā€™s put out voltage wise.

Seemingly 16W@48V

1 Like

Yeah just run it periodically to apply updates.

So before every LAN party? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Could make an argument for using SAN storage and not needing LVMā€¦?

1 Like

I believe the 24v is non-standard and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s proprietary Ubiquiti or not. Mainly, it isnā€™t 802.3af, it doesnā€™t autodetect and 24v can damage a non-24v device, so itā€™s not ideal.

1 Like

I like the MikroTik PoE voltage range: 17 to 57, does not care.

Thatā€™s going to be a very hard sell hereā€¦ (not that itā€™s a bad idea)

Lvm does come in handy when you have to do a san storage migration tho

what will the database be used for?

Iā€™d definitely rather have LVM than a bare filesystem on a diskā€¦

Unless you got a fuck ton of space.

But if its just going to be a tiny database then who the hell cares if it only has 32 GiBā€™s?

Just for snapshots and management flexibility. You can migrate the whole thing to another drive without the database even being aware of it. Itā€™s nice to have that layer of separation.

@cotton or you just DBaaS it.

True, if you go on-prem.

I linked a Database-as-a-Service so he could just always point it at that and not have to fuck with it.

Can still do remote dumps and such too. Iā€™ve used them in the past. Their backend is AWS.