Sysadmin Mega Thread

22:49:31    789G   zastoru/vm-109-disk-1@20220911
22:49:32    789G   zastoru/vm-109-disk-1@20220911
22:49:33    789G   zastoru/vm-109-disk-1@20220911
22:49:34    789G   zastoru/vm-109-disk-1@20220911

It has been stuck like this for more than an hour now. I had a SSH connection to the host…

client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe

I believe this also happened to the zfs-send.

Aren’t there any better options to zfs-send via SSH? Something that can handle some network disconnects. I don’t feel like using rsync, I had issues with it over the pond with large files, although none of the files were larger than 150GB and to get around them, I had to split these into multiple chunks of 1GB files and recreate them (not fun).

Ok, RTFM’ed and I never knew ZFS already supports an option to save data failed state data (zfs receive -s option). FML. Here we go again, another 2 weeks of worries.

1 Like

That’s rough buddy. But failure is the best teacher.

2 Likes

Oh man I’m ripping my hair out with Azure AD

Turns out that the duplicate users where one has onmicrosoft.com and one does not was done on purpose by the previous IT guy to either “bypass” MS Teams licensing, even when Teams already comes with 365 Business Standard or have fancy TLD without “onmicrosoft” stapled on it even when all that was needed was verifying the domain

Can’t merge the accounts because non-onmicrosoft ones are “Personal account” user tenancy and onmicrosoft ones are “Work account” tenancy and they’re two separate systems.

If I remove the non-onmicrosoft accounts and rename the onmicrosoft ones to not have onmicrosoft in the identity, it breaks legacy apps like Excel licensing on our finance server.

It also kicks them out from any Teams group chats our customers have and have to be reinvited back.

Need to go to 1:1 individually to each employee to verify that they’re not using it for anything and inform them of the switch.

I can’t start migrating people’s machines to be joined into AAD because of this issue.

Chatted with a guy on Slack that’s a PM in the Identity division at Microsoft and basically the only way to do it is remove the non-onmicrosoft accounts and rename the onmicrosoft ones to not have onmicrosoft in the identity because of the work and personal account tenancy BS.

This whole thing is just…

3 Likes

@Mastic_Warrior, my new job is remote because Corporate is still in Covid lockdown. So as soon as Corporate says we go back to the office, we have to return to our little cubicle.
I have been busy the last five days; I Finally got a few minutes to catch up. However, picking up the equipment for my new job was a hassle. I was supposed to go to the local office to pick up the equipment; it is a vast building, and they didn’t tell me which area I was supposed to pull up to, but finually a member of security showed me the correct pick-up area. So finally, after two years, I have two Ethernet cables connecting my equipment from my bedroom to the downstairs network so I can get internet access to my equipment upstairs. Sunday, the main router for the house network decided to break down. After a couple of days of trying to fix the router, I gave up and purchased two of the same version of the previous router. This weekend was my 58th birthday, and anything that could go wrong did. I missed my first training day because I had no internet, but my new employer understood. Except for all the issues that kept coming up, it was a lovely birthday weekend, and I survived every eight years drinking binge. I will post pictures later. I got to go and log in for training now.

1 Like

I have a similar issue, albeit on a much smaller scale in the Apple universe. TLDR, don’t set up e-commerce purchasing accounts before setting up Apple Business Manager.

2 Likes

syncoid uses resuming by default :slight_smile:

1 Like

can’t you pull this data in powershell? Probably has to be done on each user but

Long time ZFS maximalist here and I must say that I’ve been warming up to BTRFS. Its actually pretty good and even better than ZFS if you are running a home setup that can expand and rebalance later. Its also just there. You don’t need to install DKMS modules and so on.

I’d say I’m giving it a chance. I have enough replicas and backup for my personal data to be super paranoid about using this or that.

There is the rumor about parity raid issues but I don’t use parity raid. Its either 1 or 10 to me. And again, much of what is said might be outdated or urban legends. ZFS suffers a lot from this too since all the lies about memory hogging and ECC requirement came from the FreeNAS forums. It has been dispelled multiple times in some cases by the actual ZFS developers but people keep insisting on it.

1 Like

I went to the DC. Figured I should pack light because who wants to haul their whole desk around?

I realized once I pulled my laptop out that macs don’t have an RJ45 port. No problem, I planned for this very situation, I have a USB->Ethernet cable.
Except its USB-A and the MacBook only has USB-C.

Thanks, Apple. Guess the DC can wait for another day.

4 Likes

Kudos to you for being open-minded.

I’m struggling to think of a scenario where I would need something more than LVM but something less than full-blown ZFS. I guess snapshotting and replication is fairly lacking in LVM.

There are… adapters to conver from USB-A to USB-C. or you can cheat with a hub.
*Edit
My Pixel 3a come with a USB-A to USB-C adaptor so that I could use the power brick with other items that do not natively come with a USB- to USB-C cable.

3 Likes

A lot of generic USB3 => Ethernet adapters don’t have macOS drivers, so be sure to test whatever you get or just use the Belkin one they sell on the Apple Store.

2 Likes

cross posting question from another thread…

Is there a linux command to see empty m.2 or pcie slots on your motherboard?

The controllers will still show up in lspci even if there’s no devices attached.

If you mean, as something like /dev/sdX, then I guess it depends on how your devices get enumerated.

yeah I figured lspci… but didnt know if it easy to tell what slot is empty…

i know i have an m.2 on the front and back of the MB. but dont remember which one i used… and i cant see the back of MB without pulling the MB out and theres a heat sink over the m.2 on the front of the MB.

Actually, lstopo can show pci devices, doesn’t it?

Neither lspci nor hwloc will be able to show unpopulated slots, I believe. There’s no controller to show.

@nx2l You can try dmidecode. It’s highly board dependent. I just checked an Asus X570 board and I can see unpopulated PCIe expansion slots but not M.2 slots (the port connectors are enumerated but there’s no status information). Compare PCIEX1_2 (in use) PCIEX1_3 (available):

Handle 0x004F, DMI type 9, 17 bytes
System Slot Information
        Designation: PCIEX1_2
        Type: x1 PCI Express x1
        Current Usage: In Use
        Length: Short
        ID: 4
        Characteristics:
                3.3 V is provided
                PME signal is supported
        Bus Address: 0000:03:04.0

Handle 0x0050, DMI type 9, 17 bytes