Sysadmin Mega Thread

Layer 8 is directly responsible for 80% of the misery in my life.

6 Likes

It violates the 80/20 rule because itā€™s 99% percent of the network stack.

5 Likes

Anyone work with enterprise ARM hardware?

The SolidRun products look compelling but Iā€™m not sure where I can buy oneā€¦

I know Gigabyte and some others have ARM offerings but they all seem to be storage-oriented. Iā€™m more interested in network applications.

New toy arrived this friday to replace the old storage

Aaand of course after getting it racked and powered, me and other guy notice that one of the 10G ports is broken, right when we desperately need this box up and running

Looks like I get to see how good iXSystemā€™s support is tomorrow

Anyway some funny notes:

• The guy that helped me with the server and has been with the company for eons has mentioned that this is the first time he has seen a brand new server being purchased in this company
  • The R20 appliance uses Supermicro board/IPMI, so thatā€™s also a first Supermicro system in our farm
4 Likes

If ixSystems deems it within limits, those are just the metal grounding shield tabs. It should still work. You can bend them down if they bother you.

1 Like

Nah its the plastic also bent, RJ45 plugs wonā€™t stay in or make proper contact and fall out easily

2 Likes

Ah, I think I see it now. Had to zoom in. Bummer man.

4 Likes

Sample size of 1, but thatā€™s kind of embarrassing for iX QAā€¦ Idk how that could have happened in shipping.

1 Like

Maybe it was a refurb or open box.

Maybe they asked for a gently used instead of brand new becauseā€¦ you knowā€¦ discount.
Unless OP was the one that ordered. The company that I work for (and soon to lose the contract) does that where they will try to find used on eBay before they pay for brand newā€¦ unless the brand new is cheaper than used.

1 Like

I have been quoted $40k for a server of equivalent spec to a used one that I bought for $3k instead. At some point though, you just need things to have a warranty if youā€™re running an enterprise at scale.

3 Likes

Probably got damaged during QA. iX is supposed to do burn-in testing before stuff gets shipped out, so I imagine some engineer tripped over the cable yanking it out and damaged the port.

Probably bit of a nitpick but the vdevs werenā€™t also configured as requested and on the system quote (2 vdevs with zraid1 requested, got 1 zraid1 vdev), and iX also botched up the shipping where it wasnā€™t set on DAP terms (Our company pays VAT and import fees through a 3rd party broker for VAT reclaim) and got sent via DDP (Seller pays VAT and import fees)

Hoping that they just send a motherboard to replace and wonā€™t need the whole chassis back, shit hit the fan and have to offload ton of data onto it as soon as possible.

Nope, supposed to be a brand new server. I did all the non-finance paperwork for that iX box.

Yeah thatā€™s what the previous IT guy did and I refuse to do that. No more ebay unless its to revive some ancient box or get iDRAC enterprise cards. Iā€™m now insisting on refurb/open box hardware with first-party warranties (aka new 2 year warranty package from Dell on servers) or new hardware. None of this HP Gen5 tier hardware shenanigans.

In other news of this horror show of this company, CEO also said no to storing laptops in the office
So all of the company IT stock is located within my house

Iā€™m running out of space where to store things
brb expensing an expensive ikea shelf

5 Likes

If performance metrics were part of your contract (Iā€™ve never done it, but I know they will guarantee certain throughput or IOPS or whatever based on your requirements), Iā€™d confirm those are based on the config requested vs the config received. If QA ran all their benchmarks on the striped mirrors, thatā€™s obviously not going to be representative of what youā€™re going to get with 2 zraid1ā€™s.

Yeah, I mean the used savings can be kind of insane, but unless youā€™re in a position to build in a lot of redundancy (including added complexity, electricity, etc.), it shouldnā€™t be an option.

Lol, red flag, but youā€™re already neck deep in thoseā€¦ All that matters at this point is the insane raise youā€™ll demand (probably sometime next year?).

3 Likes

That is an odd request. Security reasons?!
If that water heater starts sprayingā€¦

3 Likes

I was wondering why you prefer ITProTV over CBTNuggets. I am starting a new career in one week (from sales to I.T. Desk.) the position I will begin is level 1 hardware support. Still, my new boss said in six months to a year; there could be a possibility I could become a low-level Sysadmin; it all depends on my job performance; also, he said itā€™s possible once I have my CCNA could receive a nice raise.

3 Likes

Heā€™s long gone Iā€™m afraid, but maybe someone else here has a experience with either ITProTV or CBTNuggets.

Yeah itā€™s mainly to do with security. Our office is just a single room in an office complex and the rental agency has full access to the space.

Also update from iXSystems, they dispatched a new chassis replacement within a day

4 Likes

The instructors can be hella dry but the information is good. The Labs are also pretty good.
Linux Academy is also highly recommended.
Udemy can be good. I think Wendellā€™s Linux course is still up.

1 Like

Thanks for the excellent advice, everyone; thanks to @Mastic_Warrior and @oO.o. I will look over the information.

2 Likes

What now? Something not on YouTube?

1 Like

Yeah. I want to say he did this just prior to the pandemic. It is mostly geared towards beginners but there were a few things in there that I did not even know.

2 Likes