Sysadmin Mega Thread

They’re not really white knights about this though. They have no intention of FLOSS, but they do value OSS software.

The biggest issue is that since OEL pulls from upstream RHEL, and RedHat made Satellite, there was a gap in services offered because Oracle, and most other big companies, believe in eating their own dog food so if they have a service that they offer they will use it internally instead of using competitors.

With this step, they are closer to providing a more comprehensive environment like what Red Hat offers.

Still waiting for a Foreman replacement though.

2 Likes

whats wrong with foreman?

1 Like

Nothing is wrong with it, I am just waiting to see if Oracle will fork a version of that as well.

1 Like

Don’t start with me lol.

2 Likes

Frowns on your shenanigans:
red-forman

3 Likes

:smile: good alternatives?

Puppet or Chef.

Puppet.

1 Like

For anyone who thinks journald is shit, this is how you monitor a specific service via syslog in macOS:

sudo log stream --predicate '(process == "freshclam") || (process == "clamd")' --info
2 Likes

So I just learned about Rancher today

1 Like

Ansible

At first, I thought Rancher was silly, but damn it, they’ve built some amazing tooling around docker.

2 Likes

Got a tldr?

1 Like

prebuilt docker-machine images, ready to launch.

Kubernetes, but better.

cloud-native storage engine.

a dockerized kubernetes engine.

1 Like

So it runs docker, really well.

Insert butter robot from Rick and Morty.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

If I’m not wrong, Suse have build his ‘Suse manager’ tool for patch and update on top of spacewalk.
An old colleague used that as a base to do managed deployment with a cobbler UI)

1 Like

Ansible is not a viable alternative for Spacewalk. Ansible is great at configuration management, which was a component of Spacewalk. But I think Puppet would be better suited. And Chef, they had the monitoring for free. Well, it was included anyway lol.

1 Like

Has anyone used pbis open for AD/Linux integration?

1 Like

If i’ll do:

zfs snapshot -R rpool@migration
zfs send rpool@migration > ./somefile

everything from rpool will be in that file, right? And then to just restore the data to a new pool after reinstall I’ll need to do

zfs receive rpool < ./somefile

and everything will be on the new host, right?

1 Like

plz test kthnx bye https://people.freebsd.org/~freqlabs/freebsd-openzfs/latest/

2 Likes

When it come to network i am kind of very bad …
I have a quick question of feasibility.
i rent a remote server with a public ip, and i have at home a connection which can’t bind port.

I would like to use that remote ip as the gateway and an input for my pfsense router at home, and without having a double nat (pfsense nating only)

What i have though about was to setup a ipsec bridged VPN server on the remote, and use pfsense as the client.

Would that work ? is it only possible ?
i fear ipsec, but openvpn will be to slow and wiregard is level3 :frowning: