Sysadmin Mega Thread

@oO.o I want to try and articulate better what I’m trying to do. I installed tree and an example path is android backups:

Further upstream of that is ‘Share Drive’, and then upstream of that is ‘Pool1’

Each of those folders have (should have) files found within, but what rsync did was put those files in a hidden ~tmp~ file.

For example that phone backup, going into the Apps folder:

So rsync moved over all the files from FreeNAS to the backup Pi that should be in :/mnt/backup/Pool1/Share Drive/phone backups/MobileBackup/App, but into the temporary hidden folder “~tmp~”

When all files were done for the whole rsync job, per the delay-update argument in the man page it was then to:

This option puts the temporary file from each updated file into a holding directory until the end of the transfer, at which time all the files are renamed into place in rapid succession.

It did the put into temp file part, but not the rapid succession of moving them out of it and into their normal folders.

So I have this huge file structure (using tree starting at Pool1 was a never ending scrolling print I had to ctl C out of). where in every directory is a ~tmp~ folder ‘hiding’ the files.

There must be a clever way, be it rysnc command or bash script, to have the system go into every path starting down from Pool1, crawl into every folder, look for ~tmp~, if found grab contents within ~tmp~, move it up one folder path (ex: apps/~tmp~, move everything from apps/~tmp~ to /apps). It would need to do this throughout the whole… tree.

This way I don’t have to nuke what I already moved over. But if this somehow also breaks how rsync hashes the contents to know the delta for a subsequent backup- meaning it might not see any of the data as already have been moved and will just move all of the data over again, I might as well just nuke from orbit and run again (this time I removed the delay-updates argument)

I double-dog dare you to tree a node_modules/

3 Likes

my poor little RasPi

1 Like

Ah, didn’t realize it was in every folder, thought it was just one tmp at the root with folder structure inside of it.

You’ll want to pipe a find command for every instance of tmp folder into a loop and rsync the contents of each one into its parent directory.

I’m writing up a draft for Key Management- very generic high level, not in the weeds such as “click here, select Y in drop down, move key to X folder” etc. A very high level policy guidance. Describing in the most basic non-specific way things such as references, roles, generation process, protection of keys, key lifecycle diagram, the three operational phases of keys, compromise policy, types of networks applicable, crypto ciphers to be used (again, not the how but simply ‘must be this or this cipher to be in compliance’) etc.

I am using the NIST SP 800-57pt 1 (was using v4 but v5 just came out) and the Data at Rest Encryption Key Managment Guidance from the DoD CIO.

Any other good docs to review in regards to a not-in-the-weeds guide but general guidence/policy?

1 Like

hot damn

[lbrown@hyperion ~]$ neofetch
                 ..                    [email protected] 
               .PLTJ.                  --------------------------- 
              <><><><>                 OS: CentOS Linux 8 (Core) x86_64 
     KKSSV' 4KKK LJ KKKL.'VSSKK        Host: ProLiant DL325 Gen10 
     KKV' 4KKKKK LJ KKKKAL 'VKK        Kernel: 4.18.0-147.8.1.el8_1.x86_64 
     V' ' 'VKKKK LJ KKKKV' ' 'V        Uptime: 19 mins 
     .4MA.' 'VKK LJ KKV' '.4Mb.        Packages: 1074 (rpm) 
   . KKKKKA.' 'V LJ V' '.4KKKKK .      Shell: bash 4.4.19 
 .4D KKKKKKKA.'' LJ ''.4KKKKKKK FA.    Resolution: 1024x768 
<QDD ++++++++++++  ++++++++++++ GFD>   Terminal: cockpit-bridge 
 'VD KKKKKKKK'.. LJ ..'KKKKKKKK FV     CPU: AMD EPYC 7351P (32) @ 2.400GHz 
   ' VKKKKK'. .4 LJ K. .'KKKKKV '      GPU: 01:00.1 Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eH3 
      'VK'. .4KK LJ KKA. .'KV'         Memory: 6952MiB / 15702MiB 
     A. . .4KKKK LJ KKKKA. . .4
     KKA. 'KKKKK LJ KKKKK' .4KK                                
     KKSSA. VKKK LJ KKKV .4SSKK                                
              <><><><>
               'MKKM'
                 ''

[lbrown@hyperion ~]$ 

The new heatsink allows it to stay at its max clock.

[lbrown@hyperion ~]$ sudo cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -E 'cpu MHz'
cpu MHz         : 2842.623
cpu MHz         : 2888.014
cpu MHz         : 2695.702
cpu MHz         : 2893.990
cpu MHz         : 2861.958
cpu MHz         : 2847.099
cpu MHz         : 2856.422
cpu MHz         : 2869.201
cpu MHz         : 2878.008
cpu MHz         : 2876.689
cpu MHz         : 2888.297
cpu MHz         : 2865.243
cpu MHz         : 2893.076
cpu MHz         : 2893.040
cpu MHz         : 2893.818
cpu MHz         : 2892.838
cpu MHz         : 2881.840
cpu MHz         : 2877.362
cpu MHz         : 2685.837
cpu MHz         : 2819.853
cpu MHz         : 2859.461
cpu MHz         : 2845.729
cpu MHz         : 2858.357
cpu MHz         : 2872.094
cpu MHz         : 2892.741
cpu MHz         : 2891.723
cpu MHz         : 2889.131
cpu MHz         : 2859.026
cpu MHz         : 2891.414
cpu MHz         : 2891.395
cpu MHz         : 2886.912
cpu MHz         : 2891.621
6 Likes

Is that in your house?

1 Like

Yes.

The new heatsink is the shiny copper one. It’s this bad boi.

4 Likes

Dude, those are some thiccc dimm slots.

I wanna see insertion pics. :wink:

1 Like

You’ll get your wish. A new stick comes on Friday. If it checks out (which it should because it’s registered this time) I was going to buy two more sticks. That would bring the server up to 64 GiB which is right about where I want it to sit for VM’s and such.

1 Like

Are you telling me you don’t have the hardware to satisfy all the slots?

Nice tho. :smiley:

I accept donations.

According to this it has 8 channels so 6 more DIMM’s would bring it to a total of 128 GIB so it has plenty of room to grow.

It does host the official L1T Minecraft server after all :wink:

I want to branch out into other things though.

1 Like

Such as?

Factorio, ARK, Avorion, etc.

1 Like

You’ll need a few dimms for that for sure.

1 Like

Oh yeah def. Know any other things I could host?

Oh, you got the itch?

I’ve been thinking bout running a wiki for the forum, something we can put supplemental knowledge on, something that’s a bit more greppable than the forum itself, since I can never seem to find the right guides/wikis when I do see em.

But I’ve only got 30m up, and I gotta use that for streaming on chaturbate. :troll:

2 Likes

Roll our own with VuePress?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I used a dynotron on my Solus machine. Copper does beat the shit out of aluminum for temps…

1 Like

(quietly logs into gear to get model information to search for copper heat sink replacements)

My stuff is in the garage, it needs every advantage of sinking away and fanning away heat.

1 Like