Sysadmin Mega Thread

BRB spending a week figuring out how to write the cloud-config file.

I dont pay… I just use it as it is…

you’ll still get the usual debian OS patches… just nothing from proxmox… and I just in place upgrade to next released version when it comes out.

You’ll need to make a VMware account, then go get the free version. When you request a download for the ISO it should show you your freebie license, but a bunch of the enterprise features are of course not there. Biggest restriction for a homelab use imo is the restrictions to 8 vCPU cores max per VM

What’s the process for this? I’ll have to do it at some point.

They throw up the steps in the wiki…

Usually just changing the repos… a couple commands… an update…then a reboot.

1 Like

Am I right about this?

8x vs 16x pcie for gpu transcoding…

1 Like

Realistically, you could get away with 4x 3.0.

Transcoding is absolutely processing limited.

Depending on the gpu, you might need 8x, but a p2000? 4x is plenty.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I figured.

Someone shared this on one of my other channels:

5 Likes

that was a fun read

4 Likes

Glad to hear. I’ll be reading that when I get some time (probably on the plane)

1 Like

Work or pto?

Work. Should be interesting though.

1 Like

It’s been a minute since my posts last week @NX211 @Dynamic_Gravity @SgtAwesomesauce

But here is how I approached the problem. The Galera cluster is using Mariadb. You can query a Mariadb using SQL to get it’s status and the status of the cluster. PHP handles this well. PHP also has real interfaces, so I just used two of the well known object oriented design patterns to put together a monitoring app (script, whatever) that can query each node and get it’s state. In addition, it’s extendable so that I can add other types of nodes in a different type of cluster (think rabbitMQ, etc), just by targeting the node or “subject” interface.

I’ll have to do the state handling next, but that’s where I’m at.

6 Likes

Nice!

A good implementation of PHP is infrequently seen these days, so that’s cool.

4 Likes

I’ll take “things you never thought you’d read” for $200, Alex.

2 Likes

You guys need to follow the news dump thread…

I’ve been getting email alerts all day that 2 of my Unifi switches at home are restarting every couple hours… they are POE-powered, so I suspect that may be the cause, but idk where to look for clues other than the event log on the Unifi Controller which just has a notice about the reboot…

InfoSux department is losing their shit because I made an empty S3 bucket public for 30 seconds whilst I ran a Jenkins job.

We’re not allowed to have IAM accounts or roles that aren’t created by our generous masters, and we’re limited to five. The job fails because of lack of permissions. I have a draft standing by but it’s going to cause already high tensions to grow between the departments, which is not teh DvOpz wei.

So, has anyone run into this issue? This whole least privilege shit pisses me off when it’s applied to systems engineering teams.

Hello fellow Sysadmins -

My Fedora VDI blew up this morning and I need a hex editor to try to repair it. The host machine is Windows 10. Can anyone recommend a hex editor?