Sysadmin Mega Thread

Interesting, mine is actually ahead of yours. (CentOS 8.1)

[lbrown@hyperion ~]$ sudo zfs --version
zfs-0.8.3-1
zfs-kmod-0.8.3-1
[lbrown@hyperion ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release 
CentOS Linux release 8.1.1911 (Core)

I would assume an internal patch level?

Tends to be release number.

If they change associated config or whatever, they’ll iterate that without needing to iterate the version.

1 Like

Right, but I thought that ZFS, when there’s no SLOG, wrote the transactions to the member disks, then flushed the transaction into the long-term storage format, effectively doubling the write jobs? Do I have that wrong?

1 Like

You’re writing the ZIL on sync and then replaying it to the disks. Without a SLOG the ZIL is on the disks. With a SLOG the ZIL is on a separate device. So either way you’re writing twice. With sync workloads, latency is paramount because every IO has to wait for the previous IO, big or small. You do offload the extra ZIL throughput for sync writes when using a SLOG, but it’s not going to give you more overall throughput if the SLOG can’t keep up. It can be a bottleneck if its throughput doesn’t match the array. As always, “it depends” :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, native Windows package manager

1 Like

Finally.

Seems a lot less flexible then Chocolatey or Scoop as a package is just a yaml file that has metadata, and software is always downloaded at runtime. Both of the others can have a powershell script run, which opens up way more options. Actually, this seems basically like appget.

Edit- OH YES; they are planning to support windows store app installation. source

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought. I’m not saying there’s no reason you wouldn’t go with a SLOG, just thought it was curious that ZFS beat mdadm in most cases measuring throughput only even with the extra writes.

Nice!

I’m psyched.

Now to make it do terrible things.

1 Like

Goes to show just how poorly mdraid utilizes the hardware I guess.

1 Like

It would have to be.

I always thought it was pretty okayish at simple stuff

It was more me being dumbfounded by mdraid than impressed with ZFS. I live in a constant state of being impressed by ZFS.

1 Like

Looks like I’ve got a hot date with some firmware update utilities tonight. Everything is broken lol

2 Likes

Nice. I think I’m gonna rice my old laptop. I’m missing i3.

1 Like

Im taken my a day off nerd shit and drinking wine and watching YouTube.

3 Likes

Every command installs candy crush

2 Likes

Enjoy screaming at freedos

1 Like

FreeDOS is fine, it has tab completion!

Unfortunately this SAS3108 seems to be in an unrecoverable fault state. The firmware is unresponsive, so the driver can’t use the card (even though it sees it there). :confused:

I have a SAS3008 coming next week, and I did find the official IT firmware for it, so I just have to hold out until then…

On the bright side, I updated everything else in the system and it’s fixed a few quirks (that may or may not have been dumb bios settings).

it seems the only way i’ll get it to work REASONABLY is if get it working in dock Desktop for Windows. my only server in the house is windows.

LANcache wasn’t really designed for windows containers, but linux containers on windows should be okay.

3 Likes