Synology/QNAP NAS or upgrade my server?

I would need a new Mobo to support the 300 series chip

Whatā€™s the advantage of the Intel system over the Ryzen one? Or are you just looking at options.

Heā€™s scared of buying a Ryzen motherboard that doesnā€™t support Zen+, and rightfully so. That would annoy the hell out of me also.

Youā€™re buying a new motherboard anyway. And you already have a case and PSU, so why price out new ones?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.96 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($82.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.84 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $367.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-24 14:28 EDT-0400

the additional case was to accommodate additional drives. It has a drive backplane supporting something like 12 Drives. Which would incorporate a SAS/SATA controller cardā€™s ability to support 8 drives.

Here is a tweaked version:
It replaced the case and changed the m.2 SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $119.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte - H370M D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $92.44 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $83.98 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $89.99
Case Silverstone - CS380 ATX Mid Tower Case $121.21 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $507.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-24 15:01 EDT-0400

in terms of raw cores i agree that the 8100 is better. but what the g4560 has over the 8100 is Hyper-threading. the g4560 have 4 logical cores. the 8100, actually all i3 and i5 intel 8th gen chips are NOT hyperthreaded.
if i didnt want a chip with an igpu, i could easily get an SMT Amd chip that would beat an i5 for the same or less.

Hyperthreading is great technology, but real cores are obviously much better.

1 Like

Interesting that Intel has been essentially saying the opposite for years now.

If they have, the messaging missed me. First Iā€™ve heard of it. That would mean a Kaby i3 with 2 cores/4 threads is just as good as a Kaby i5 with 4/4.

well, the main difference between the two is clockspeed and core count so in multithreaded applications, as long as you have similar clocks, it should be similar results.

In heavily multithreaded applications, real cores will obliterate SMT cores at similar clocks and IPC.

then an AMD FX 8370 should curbstomp any i5 Quadcore. - I am well aware the IPC is different.
But if we are comparing Cores to Cores, then a heavily multi-threaded application should prefer the higher core count.

Yes, if it uses all 8 cores and no intel-specific features it absolutely will.

Thing is, most applications arenā€™t heavily multithreaded. Games certainly arenā€™t. And those that are usually donā€™t scale well past 4 threads, because most computers came with at most 4 threads, whether in 2/4 or 4/4 configuration, for the past eight years or so. Until very recently really only desktop i7s could handle more than 4 threads.

so, that said, What makes the 8100 worth spending an additional ~$50?

It has twice as many cores. If you run VMs or want to transcode 4 streams simultaneously in software thatā€™s a big deal.

well, I am getting hooked up with an 8100 and board from a friend of mine who does reviews for TechPowerUp. He is cutting me a good deal on it. I plan to pick up a GTX 750ti to do hardware transcoding.

Nice, should serve you well.

From a quick google search, looks like Emby supports intel quicksync encoding too. So you can probably skip the 750ti.

1 Like

not if i want to do more than 4 transcodes

Iā€™ve been running FreeNAS since 2012 and it just sits in the corner and does its thing.

Iā€™ve upgraded disks on it without downtime, iā€™ve run VMs on it, etc.