Synology/QNAP NAS or upgrade my server?

Honestly @Ruffalo’s solution is not a bad way to go but if you want it to be in one box you could go with a cheaper ryzen setup. Theres a ton of ways to skin this cat and if I was doing it I would want to do it on as little power usage as possible.

can you suggest some builds? Every time i do it I end up north of $600.

The specific software I use 24/7 is: sonarr, SABnzbdplus, Emby Server, SFTP/File/WebDAV server.

I would like to expand it to run Photo storage for the folks, (mother ate up her entire Google Drive account with photos. )

It would be nice to add an Email server. And it would be nice to be able to run a VPN like SoftEther or PIA and split traffic between WAN and VPN depending on the traffic.

I also have a DDNS with NoIP.

Are you wanting freenas or dsm or just a normal distro?

I would be open to FreeNAS/DSM/Other.

Well you gotta pick one man. ZFS means more ram. DSM means considerably less ram. Other could be somewhere in between.

How about one for ZFS, one for DSM and one for Debian/CentOS/Ubuntu/Fedora? That way I can see the pros and cons based on price to perf? That is usually how I make picks. I would love to have hotswap bays somehow for drive replacement. I have considered adding a RAID/SATA expansion card that uses mini-SAS - to - SATA cables to add more than 8 SATA drives to one card using only 2 mini-SAS connectors.

What raidz config and how big are your disks? Also I think an M.2 cache drive is overkill given you probably cant serve it that fast on your network.

Assuming RAIDZ runs along RAID config lines, RAID5 or RAID50 I guess. Maybe RAID6/60 depending on if it is better or not.

I have been adding larger drives over time. I think the largest drive I have is 6TB ATM.

M.2 Caching is more for having more than one device streaming from the server at once. That and when adding files to the drives, it would improve drive performance.

Well the general rule of thumb for ZFS is 1gb of ram per tb of disk.

Well currently I am sitting at 11TB total with a LVM2 over EXT4 setup

What im saying is cache on a normal sata SSD. M.2 read/write is faster than your network probably can use.

I currently have Symmetrical Gigabit with no cap. My speed tests are running on average around 950Mbps symmetrical.

You don’t need an SSD of any kind unless you have 10GbE, aggregated gigabit or you’re running heavy database workloads.

1 Like

even at gigabit thats still only 125MB/s. Normal 7200rpm mechanical drives can damn near saturate that.

1 Like

then SSD caching instead of m.2 is fine. One thought I had was to put the OS on the M.2

That is if you can still source them. Most drives larger than 1TB are usually 5400 or 5900RPM.

Other than WD reds, I think HGST NAS, WD Red Pros and Seagate Ironwolfs are all 7200. What models are you thinking of?

Ironwolf = 5900
Red = 5400

Ironwolf/Red Pros are 7200. But you may as well buy WD gold which is slightly more expensive.

EDIT: Just looked at the HGST, just as expensive as the 7200 WD/Seagate variants.

Interesting, so lower capacity Ironwolfs are 5900 and higher capacity ones are 7200

In any case, it sounds like @LinuxMaster9 already has drives.

1 Like