Switching to PC

I'm a console gamer wanting to switch to PC but I was wondering how often do I have to update the different components for example updating the graphics card e.t.c

On the fair side every 2-3 years, graphics cards are more of a three year upgrade where as a decent unlocked cpu with overclocking can last you four years and still run games fine.

So if I were to build this PC it would last for around 2-3 years?
FX-8320 CPU
MSI 760GMA-P34
Crucial Ballistix 8GB
Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive
Sapphire R9 270X
Cougar Spike PC Case
EVGA 500W Bronze PSU

I would wait on Zen, Zen will come out mid to late next year. But if you can't wait that long, I understand.

But when you do build don't be like "I've got $100 this month, time to get a hard drive and next month, I'll get a case and the month after that, I'll get some ram and then I'll get an SSD and then I'll get a CPU". Don't do that, the only parts you should buy month by month is stuff like Mice, Keyboards, Cases and Power Supplies, those don't go obsolete and always get the CPU, GPU RAM and Motherboard all in one purchase and always save those last four items for last.

1 Like

If there's room to move around a bit I would recommend getting at least a gold rated power supply from a brand like Seasonic.

Getting a decent power supply will prevent you from having issues with power delivery and should last a good couple builds. As @commodore256 mentioned we're close to getting new releases so if you can wait until mid next year for the new stuff to be released.

It would also matter, what GPU do you buy for example. I don't think I really need to explain my statement.

I would just wait at that point. You would be running on stuff that will most likely not be maxing games even in 1080p in 2 years. I have a similar speced system running a intel core i5 4400 with a gtx 760. Difference is my system I have had for almost 2 years. So next year in 2017 I am upgrading the gpu and in 2 more years comes a cpu and motherboard upgrade.

It depends on a lot of things, but if you plan to play at 1080p then any modern GPU will handle most AAA games for years. I ran a 670 for probably 2 years, and I only upgraded because I wanted to, not because it was needed.