Switch Configuration Help

No. Arp only populates when it gets a response from a device claiming an IP address. Hence why it was important to attempt to broadcast ping. You could use Wireshark to attempt to see if the switch is responding to anything when your machine is the only one plugged in.

If you statically assign your network device on the same network as the default IP of the switch (192.168.1.10/24), and you ping 192.168.1.254 (the default switch IP?) You would find that ARP would be populated if, and only IF itā€™s sitting at that IP address.

The serial port is the best route to trouble shoot this.

I would use a USB serial adapter, and use a native OS to access it. Verify the adapter works (Iā€™ve had a few that had weird driver issues)
Then use 8N1 No flow control, and start at 9600 and work your way to the top while Putty is open and the switch is booting. While itā€™s booting you will have the best chance for it to scroll something across the screen.

if it doesnā€™t ever scroll anything. I would swap out the Serial cable for a different one and try again. Then Swap out the USB-Serial adapter. Eliminate all possible physical layer issues.

Then I would contact the person who you bought it from, and see if they have a return option, or know any further information on the switch.

2 Likes

I basicly can to the same conclusion as @DeusQain just forget about Telneting into your switch @Burrito. What I would do is do what @DeusQain suggested in his last post. If you contunue to have problems @Burrito I would contact the seller of the switch and see if I could get my money back. If not you just learned a not very expensive lesson to never buy anything on Ebay.
I am sorry I wasnā€™t more help.

1 Like

All right, Iā€™ll give it another shot and see what I can do, thanks for all the help Qain!!

1 Like

Itā€™s all good, Iā€™m sure I can figure it out eventuallyā€¦

The baud rate may be different from 9600, the Small Business switches have 115200 as default. Check the documentation for your switch.

Hmm well the documentation says 38400, as well as most people saying it is, however Iā€™m out of ideas so as soon as I come home from uni, Iā€™ll go try that :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know if you happened to see this other post posted on this forum, but I thought I would share because it sounds like the original poster is having the same problem as you, except He has a different switch manufactured from Netgear instead of Cisco.

Link to post I was talking about.