Swapping from windows to Linux on a work machine

Fully understood guys. Fully understood.

1 Like

I’m trying to catch some of these comments up, but let me just say that running Adobe CC, Cinema4D & andthing else on a virtualized Windows machine is OK. Once you check out the video I posted and some of his older videos (2 weeks maybe) You can see he’s completely fine with performance.

2 Likes

absofuckinlutely, sadly

Yes it works well, to the point SnazzyLabs on youtube has a video editing machine running on Linux, and he’s a Mac guy, so it works reeeeally well (I guess, I don’t use it)

but don’t you think linux will be the end of your problems, computers are made to fuck shit up, as Wendell says “It was a mistake teaching sand to think”

linux problems are also common

1 Like

Indeed … I’m going to take my time going forward.

1 Like

This is definitely on the cards folks, especially after having watched the video linked above, but I think I’m going to build a test rig first and dip my toes before jumping in altogether. Get that Manjaro up and running and see how I go from there.

Thank you all for your contributions here, it really has helped - helped me to simmer down a bit at any rate and certainly helped me to see a more suitable path ahead. I’ll come back and open up a new thread to document my progress on this and yeah, thanks! I hope to see some of you there.

Cheers!!

2 Likes

Depending on budget you could also just get 2 new drives, one exclusively for the linux install, one exclusively for the Windows VM. That way you don’t need a completely new machine. Just make sure you disconnect any currently present drives before installing either.

1 Like

I’ve already used all my drive space. Nah, I’ve got two 16GB sets of ram lying there, a case, a couple of displays and a power supply so I’m not too far off a new rig as it is. I’m not poor either - I should have done this along time ago but I got comfortable. It’s only now that I got blitzed in the middle of something important that I’m snapping out of it. It’ snot good to become too dependable on the powers that be, letting them ‘handle it for you’ … huh? “We’re just gathering some data and then we’ll restart for you” … condescending cunts.

I’ll be honest, this was all partly my own fault too because for years now I’ve been crippling windows with the HIPS package that comes with Comodo firewall. I usually install it straight away after installing windows and immediately delete the entire “Trusted Vendors” list - this is a real pain for most as every little thing windows wants to do triggers an alert and asks you what you want to do, allow it block it or whatever. I’ve been blocking windows update since before that whack ‘October Update’ that screwed everyone over [forget what year it was] and watching what it was doing in response. I trusted the comodo software way more than I trusted windows mainly because of the deeper level of control it gave me over what windows was doing so I didn’t care if I screwed up the ‘security’ features of windows and I did to a significant degree. I’d literally spent years building up a list of rules that afforded me a somewhat stable windows … if that doesn’t prove I don’t mind a bit of hassle I don’t know what does but I took it too far and got screwed right when it hurt the most. So now I’m going to bite the bullet and calm down a bit … I see more value now in stability than I ever have.

Actually it was AMD that screwed me with those dodgy drivers they released. If that hadn’t happened I wouldn’t have had to allow windows to update itself. See … I need my display drivers to work and I thought the best way to get them to work … being the brand new updated packade the Radeon software is … was to update windows too and as soon as I allowed it to do it’s thing everything went to shit.

“The Billy Build”

“The world is your oyster, I’m just living in it !”

Wendell also did a video on virtualization a while back as well.

1 Like

Unnecessary echoes:

• The adobe suite definitely needs to run in a VM.
  • Running Steam natively (with its wrappers where necessary) and EGS through Wine, the games I play are all available to me on a very straight forward Ubuntu LTS install.

The vanilla-ness of my distro choice here is very intentional - to catch the broadest swath of “let’s add Linux support to our app!” which unfortunately still means “let’s add support for Ubuntu LTS!” in 90% of cases.

On Cinema4D: Just checking, as I didn’t spot it being asked: Are you locked to C4D in your workflow? I run a small game studio where we intentionally shifted parts of our tool chain towards broader out-of-the-box cross-platform-ness. Relevant here, that means Modo over Maya or 3DMax, again not sure if that is an option for you. Other tools already covered include the Allegorithmic (now Adobe) Substance package.

Again, while it is by no means exciting and many people rightfully have low opinions of it, I would highly recommend sticking with Ubuntu LTS for a work machine you have decided to throw Linux on. For stability of experience and for maximizing lower-maintenance access to Linux editions of software you depend on for work.

1 Like

While I agree with your point about Ubuntu, it’s also worth noting that a lot of Business software comes in RPM packages for RHEL-ish distros. So Fedora isn’t a bad choice either. Depends on the specific software of course.

3 Likes

Not at all, it’s a choice … but a good one for the kind of work I do. I’ve tried many 3D apps - Maya, Modo, MOI, Milkshake, Lightwave, MAX … but I find I work fastest using Cinema in conjunction with After Effects. The AE/Cinema integration makes my life a whole let easier so I’d like to stick with if it’s at all possible. It’s just the OS I’m having issues with :slight_smile: Cheers.

1 Like

:+1:

Eh, I trust any of the antivirus vendors far less than Microsoft. MS is spying on you anyway when you use Windows, but most antivirus vendors are apparently just incompetent and more often than not make Windows less secure.

Following the Twitter accounts of some Team Zero members (among others) is … not good for your faith in most popular “security” products. On the upside, it has saved many people the cost of paying for pointless desktop antivirus licenses.

Windows updates can cause issues when you least expect them but it helps to setup an automatic system image backup to network storage. That combined with file redirection and its kind of hard to be dead in the water…

I generally rebuilding one of my machines either at work or at home, or getting a new machine at least every 3 months (maybe more often).