SuSE file to Ubuntu

I am trying to install the networking driver for my hp probook 4545s and the only linux option that they have is for SuSE distros.  I need to know how to take that file and turn it into something that ubuntu(xubuntu) can use.

Which driver is it? Wireless or ethernet? You need to search for the chipset that is used inside your laptop, usually drivers can be found with that. Most of the time Realtek/Intel chips for ethernet and broadcom chips for wifi are used. type "lspci" in your terminal and have a look or post the output into this post, maybe we can help you

Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01) there it is...I will look for a file from somewhere other than hp.

See if the driver is in the "additional drivers" section of the package manager settings.

Yup it was there and now I seem to be loading pages a heck of a lot quicker.  Thanks!

The reason why some manufacturers refer for drivers to SuSE, is because of the SuSE build service. On the SuSE site, you can find all packages, not only in RPM-packaging for SuSE, Mageia, Fedora, RHEL, etc..., but you can also get them for any other distro, in source or DEB. Since the download system of RPM-distros is safer than others (because the transfer is encrypted, whereas in repos of DEB-based distros it is not, so that it's relatively easy to MIM packages, which is probably being done on a very large scale, especially with regards to security functionality like keylog protection in X or encryption mechanisms in packages like LUKS), sometimes it is preferred to get packages, even for other distros, from SuSE instead of from the actual distro the packages are for.