Support for Hot Swapping - Windows 7

Just wondering if Windows 7 supports hot plugging/hot swapping. I tried it and it doesn’t seem to, so I’m asking to be sure. If Windows 7 doesn’t support it, do 8.0, 8.1, and/or 10 support it?

(Yes, I have hot swapping enabled for the hotswapping port/ports in the BIOS)

Hot swapping? Of what?
You could dismount removable storage devices since Windows XP.
It got more refined in Vista. 7 and newer pretty much support it regardless.

On my motherboard, I can turn on hot-swap per SATA port. And after doing so, Windows will show the disconnect/eject icon for that drive.

Short answer: Yes!

HDDs, SSDs, Hybrid drives, etc…

Strange… I don’t know why it’s not working then. It seems to quit “communicating” to the drive entirely after the 3rd attempt.

Is your “Safely remove hardware” icon missing from the tray?

No, it’s there. But once the drive is plugged back in, it won’t show up.

I used the option to safely remove the drive as well.

It is supported, but sometimes it can take a while for a drive to show up or disappear. And on my PC some drives just won’t show up anymore until you restart the PC.
That could be hardware though, I really should test that by plugging them in directly instead of using the hotswap bay and verifying that it also happens on my secondary rig. But I digress.

If you plugged in a drive and it won’t show up, go to Control Panel -> Device Manager (or type “device manager” into the start window’s search box). There you right-click on “Disk drives” and select “Scan for hardware changes”. That’ll force Windows to check all SATA ports.

I second this suggestion

Hey! It worked! Awesome!

I don’t get why it’s done that way though. That’s really fucking annoying and a shitty way of handling things.