Supermicro SC846 E5-2609V2 32GB as NAS

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a used Supermicro SC846 with the following specs for around $935:

Chassi: Supermicro 4U SC846
Cpu: 1st Xeon E5-2609 V2 (room for 2)
Motherboard: X9DRD-EF
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) ECC RDIMM DDR3
Storage: 2 1TB 2.5" internal, room for 24 3.5" discs in the front with hot-swap, drive bays included
Raidcontroller: 1 Dell 6gbps SAS HBA
2 PSU
Rails
Other: SAS2 Expander backplane ,compatible with standard ATX E-ATX och EE-ATX kort

I want to use this as a NAS running either Truenas or Unraid, it will be my primary storage solution. I also want to run multiple VMs and multiple containers.

I’ve noticed that the motherboard and it’s peripherals are somewhat old, will i be noticably limited here? Any other gotchas i should be aware of?

Thanks

It seems like a fair price given the shitload of caddys but a v2 xeon has shitty performance considering 80W tdp.

I guess it depends on your needs. If you need the 24 bays then its a fine box. If you need like 4-6 drives you can build a new xeon or ryzen box with ecc and a raid card for a similar price.

Not sure I would pay $1000 for decade old hardware. They don’t include the hard drives even.

Case is worth a hundred or so, CPU and motherboard at best another hundred.

Put your money to something more modern or ask for a better price.

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.