Suggest fs

I’m being to think that btrfs is actually usefull as “bridge” between dualboot win-linux, since fat32 is pile of garbage, so asking people who got some experience with btrfs, it has file permissions like ext4 right? So I could actually maybe try to make one partition for steamlibrary since steam on linux req. chmod for some reason, and win got drivers for btrfs as far as i know.

1 Like

Is this a suggest a file system question or a btrfs implementation suggestion?

Should change the title.

both xD, I mean is it worth to go for it?

BTRFS is rather unstable and not that many people even support it anymore. Personally, I always used exFAT for transferring files and I only made like an 8GB partition. Been so long since I did that too… Ha. Good ol’ days.

I actually use ~200gb fat32 partition atm, but dunno, maybe im just gonna go all in with ext4, maybe 200gb will be enough for music/games that i can run both sides.

Theres no libs or anything for windows to use EXT or XFS or BTRFS, though people want them to. Set up an EXFAT partition. Fat32 can’t handle files over 3.98 GB where EXFAT can.

2 Likes

http://www.ext2fsd.com/ Is my kind of go-to when I need to share files in dual-boot.

For sharing files in dual boot, I just use NTFS. And actually not just for sharing files, I have a 250GB SSD dedicated to games. I have a WindowsSteam directory and a LinuxSteam directory on it, so I don’t need to have two separate areas on my computer cluttered up with games.

1 Like

how do you actually make LinuxSteam dir to work with steam on linux, you use native steam or steam from wine?

You can do it natively with the Steam installation itself. Natively would be best as the use of Wine is more akin to virtualization (generally speaking) and has more overhead on performance versus Steam’s native install.

Especially depending upon hardware specifications.

When I’m running in Linux, I just run things that run in Linux natively. No need to muck about with Wine. Linux has had read/write capabilities with NTFS for some time now. So when you’re in Linux, you just go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders. Add a library folder, point it to a directory on an NTFS partition, and away you go.

1 Like

I think the OP is on to something. We really do need a next gen cross platform FS basicly. I know all the EXT4 > all or ZFS > BTRFS.

Come back to earth and I have been using BTRFS since switching to linux as a home user not a Mega corp. It has been fine , flexible, expandable and serviceable if you can cope with fairly self explanatory command line tools.

Windows is getting BTRFS support but last I read was only beta and read only ?

As a Fedora user I was a little disheartened that there dropping BTRFS for yet another new next gen FS.

As a layman WTF is wrong with making a next gen open source FS with COW and bitrot protection ETC that Linux, MAC OS, Windows and Android etc can all use, FAT32 2.0. The single most important thing a computer does is store information. Why are we re-inventing this storage wheel over and over.

1 Like

When it comes to btrfs it will probably be a few years until it is mature like zfs is today. It slowed down in the last few years but has been picking up recently but windows drivers are always behind, for dual booting I wouldn’t recommend it. Ntfs-3g works well and is what I use for wine/steam. Btrfs is what I prefer to use on my systems but for an end user, still looking at 2020-2021 realistically.

That lays within the very nature of the Tech Community to create the “next big thing,” followed by numerous large scale marketing schemes cooked up by the Corporate Clowns to remain relevant.

That would be the dream.

But why would a massive corporation do something that would make it easier for users to move away from using said corporation’s product exclusively?

1 Like

I think you misunderstood the context of the comment made by myself mate. What I meant to infer was not in relation to the open source community so much as corporations themselves marketing newer file systems that have no real value compared to what is readily available. Simply to create something new as a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

I was replying to @Marten, not @Linuxephus.

I can see that now after noticing the “replied to” icon that I initially missed upon my previous comment.

I’d like to think for their best interest. Windows at home or even work is FAT and NTFS and no sane person calls them next gen. Apple and linux are a few percent of the market. Keeping our data safe should be the only point. Not from law enforcement but encrypt for sure. But so those digital photos are safer not lost on a error or malware encrypt local data. Have a snapshot or snapshots read only to roll back too over multiple drives. This is common sense in data centres but home users dicks are left swinging in the wind. Apologies ladies.

Maybe I am against the grain but have all your data in the cloud to be secure is stupid !. I would much prefer it local on a a resilient FS with “backups” it is always have backup when nearly no one actually does.

At least raid 1 on a FS locally could help many people that will never backup. For now the only solution is cloud your data and put trust in others.

1 Like

I didn’t realize they were replacing it with anything. Do you have a link?